Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Patching Rust on VW Baja...

So I have patched rust before and it turned out pretty good, I just cut out the rot and welded in new sheet... But on this project I am tackling there is a need to patch some not so flat areas ( window seals, door jams, body mounts, etc...) do any of you guys have any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeAlbert View Post
    So I have patched rust before and it turned out pretty good, I just cut out the rot and welded in new sheet... But on this project I am tackling there is a need to patch some not so flat areas ( window seals, door jams, body mounts, etc...) do any of you guys have any tips?
    If mig welding, use Esab Easygrind wire.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Depending on your location I would find another body and cut the pieces out you need and weldthem in,that is what I did with a 67 bus.Even if you live in an area where bodies have long since disappeared you should be able to find what you need on thesamba.com

I like big mikes answer.

just make sure that you go from good steel to good steel and then some, no surprises that way, i use cardboard for templates, i also use 14 ga if i can get away with it, it makes the welding go that mush quicker

Default Patching Rust on VW Baja...

I have done lots of VW's in California from 5-1600 and class 11 off road race cars to lowered street sedans. The places you speak of are the most common places for cancer other than the pan and battery tray area. As stated above finding a donor car with the corresponding panels is the easiest way to go. If possible remove plug welds and separate at the seams to get a better lineup and fit on the panel to be stitched in. Be careful as some spots on those cars are already very thin and grinding away too much will be harder to cover up come finish time. What kind of project are you working on?

I already replaced the pan and battery tray, it was good and rotten... Im just fixing the rusted areas for my buddy, he's more of a mechanic than a fabricator. but I believe its a '67, 1500cc or something like that.

The samba is awesome. Best vw site around.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

If making new patches then measure the bad area. Make the patch first then trace it on the bad area & cut. Much easier than trying to make a patch fit an already cut area. Fit up is essential, no big gaps! It is easier to overlap slightly, like an 1/8" than it is to butt weld. Done right butt welding is better but more tedious for fit up. Small tacks jumping around rather than continuous welding. Keep it cool while welding & grinding. Heat is not your friend here.

Ditto on The Samba. They have a good body section on their forum.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks guys, Ill Try to put some pictures up...