Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I Liable

Default Am I Liable

I built a concrete and steel balcany that has went through 3 winters and its starting to rust through the galvanize B deck as well as some of the structural steel and the customer thinks I should warrante it. The decking was the only thing galvanized.

I'm was not the person responsible for the painting nor am I the person who decides what kind of deicing agent that they use.

If its rusting away already that tells me there salting the heck out of it along with their painter not using the proper paint.

And now I have to defend my self.

Default Am I Liable

Who's design was it? Was galvanizing the structural steel an option? But the important part is its not your responsibility to properly maintain the customers balcony unless a service contract was included that's my opinion.

No, but... you may have a headache. How valuable a customer is this (future work) and do you want him as a future customer and can you afford to have him as a customer. Has any of your work failed? Liable, I'd say morally no. Not after that length of time and given that you didn't paint it. If he'd wanted rust free he should have specified stainless at a much higher price of course.---Meltedmetal

Unfortunately its the nature of the beast, Salt and aluminum, salt and steel, salt and yes even electro plated galvanized metal deck.

Salt always wins and I finished this project almost 4 years ago.

Heres the deal, The thickness of galvanize is based on the thickness of the steel, The thicker the steel the thicker the coating is going to be on the steel.
    Or at least thats what I have been told by the people that galvanize my structural steel.

I dont see where I was at fault, I said we could galvanize everything but informed them that the project would be a 1/3rd more, However that still does'nt help with the fact that galvanized B decking comes pre galvanized and you get what you get when you order it, Maybe on my next job I should consider using galvanized sea wall for decking.

I would think his attorney would tell them to forget it, if it wasn't in the contract you were to use galvanized rust proof steel on everything I don't see how you could be held liable for the project's untreated steel rusting, stopping rust would be the paint's job......

The galvanized metal deck has also rusted through but one again the coating on the deck is in relation to the thickness of the base metal before electro plate galvanize.

Doesn't matter if you are liable or not, you still have to spend the money and time to defend yourself.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I know it's been quite a while since I've posted...

We write in a one year guarantee into all of our contracts... It's really all you can do.

I've dealt with, and am currently dealing with "owner damage" on past projects. There has to be a line where the owner has to maintain their own stuff for it to last....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

gotta be quick hear, keep getting error 324, have you thought about electrolosis, salt solution, zink, and most likely some stray current, how can you stand behind that

talk to your insurance guy, product liability clause, not now but down the road, they dont want to pay out so they come up with something