Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default welding aluminum

I have a millermatic 210 with a spool gun using 100% Argon. I am modifying the motor mount transom on the motor pod of my pontoon boat, getting rid of the wood and replacing with aluminum. The motor pod is made up of 1/8" aluminum and I want to weld 1/4" to it. I have been practicing a bit but I have been having some issues. My welds look good but the starts are not nice and they are not fused in, (for lack of better words) like the rest of the weld. Looks like a cold start. I have the welder set for a good spray transfer. what could I be doing wrong. Also welding 1/4" to 1/8" should I be concetrating on working the puddle more to the thicker material to reduce the chance of burning through the thinner stuff. Also it seems that I have to move realy fast when welding aluminum as compared to steel. Is this normal with aluminum or do I have the settings wrong.

Use more wire speed. Should stop the cold start oddly enough. But yes you do move lots faster. Your pushing correct?
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Faster wire speed, that is odd but I will give it a try and yes I am pushing. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
    Faster wire speed, that is odd but I will give it a try and yes I am pushing. Thanks
    Also your contact tip to work distance is a LOT more critical when welding Alooominum.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

What you are experienceing is normal. The base metal is cold and is not heated enough to wet in the weld. The millermatic 350P actually has a "Hot Start" feature to deal with this condition.

Try beveling the **** out of the start area, back into it and fill it up to get a good wet-in. Preheating it helps but then the weld area overheats.

If you are using 4043 in a 16lb spool, try out Maxal's 4943, as it wets like the bomb.

Good Luck.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I will give all of those tips a try and let you know what happens. Thanks guys

Default welding aluminum

You could also try some preheat in the thicker piece (400 degrees plus) and try again.

Default welding aluminum

Glad you figured it out!

Keep on practicing