Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Big 40 Welder question

I have a big 40 that has a broken reed switch cr1. New ones are avainable for $150 but i was wondering it's purpose and what would happen if I jumpered it or put it on a switch i could turn on and off.
    I posted a wiring diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The resolution on your diagram was not sharp enough that I could read the small print in the diagram on my computer. Consequently, I could not locate cr1 in your diagram. If you posted the serial number perhaps Cruizer or Duane could advise you. I could not find a manual using the "from this serial number on" mentioned in the diagram but I'm guessing your machine is mid-70s? There is a cr1 relay in the later Big 40 C manual but it is only about $14.00 at miller4less.com and is probably not the same part. At a quick look it appears to activate the fuel pump etc. during cranking in the newer Big 40 C. Maybe you could trace the wires back to see what it controls. Good luck.---Meltedmetal

Default Cr1

It looks like cr1 closes and grounds gs1 which is a solenoid connected so as to allow vacum to build or not which moves carb linkage. it does the same as idle lock in/lockout switch. I still havn't gotten the welder to arc or even supply 110v to receptacle yet. guess i'll have to put the 12v dc to re-excite the windings.

I am not very familiar with your machine but is this reed switch magnetically activates by the weld current to kick up the idle when you strike an arc? If so then at least for the purpose of a trial to make it weld you should be able to use the switch that is already there I would think. As for flashing the exciter,I've seen info regarding this on Welding Web.---Meltedmetal

Default cr1

Here is a pic of the coil the reed switch goes thru

I guess for $150.00 the coil comes with the reed switch? Is there any way to pull just the switch and change only it? You could search online for a switch to replace it maybe. Digikey has quite a variety some as low as 50 odd cents each. You would need to assess the current draw and the physical dimensions to match it up. From the diagram I don't see how it would stop the welder from generating current and I would like to see it weld and generate before I dropped $150.00 on a switch.---Meltedmetal

Pop the glass reed out and get another, maybe $10. I get lots of them out of Lincoln....

Don't know where you're located Bill but I get mine from Welder Parts Warehouse located in Pinehurst, TX.
    http://www.mcssl.com/store/4833177/reed-switch
    They even solder new leads on them to assure the switch isn't damaged by the process.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Default Reed switch

Thats exactly what I was looking for. No way I could have figured out the amp draw. Going to order one this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Don't know where you're located Bill but I get mine from Welder Parts Warehouse located in Pinehurst, TX.
    http://www.mcssl.com/store/4833177/reed-switch
    They even solder new leads on them to assure the switch isn't damaged by the process.