Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Cleaning Aluminum Tank Before Welding

I have a 200 gal diesel tank on my boat. I will be welding from the inside. This is the only way. Tank is dry and wiped clean at this point. Next I am thinking about a water based cleaner with a mop and sponges on all sides. A soft wire brush would be next. I will need to remove a baffle with a jig saw before welding. I will be ventilating at 1500cfpm and I will be using a hookah for breathing. Does this sound good so far. Come welding time I plan on using the hookah for air. Do you see a problem with using co2 to purge the tank before and during welding. Boat is in the water and the tanks are built in and are part of the hull and bulk head. Everything is .250 aluminum.
    Kevin
    [XMT 350MPa , XR Feeder & Aluma Pro gun , Dynasty 200DX]

My first suggestion would be....Pull the boat out of the water...your job will be much easier and safer too....If you have problems and the boat is in the water.....Think about it....

Is there any way to work blasting caps and running chainsaws into the act?

You're a braver man than me. That said don't overlook the fact that no one without breathing equipment can come in and get you with the tank full of inert gas should the need arise. I would say don't work on this alone and use a reliable extraction harness when you are in the tank. Arrange a signal system with your tender so he/she can verify that you are still conscious and okay.Lotsa luck.---Meltedmetal

How do the PROFESSIONAL WELDERS do a job like this. In or out of the water should make no difference. I would like to do this the same way as a PROFESSIONAL does. I understand the problems I am facing. This is a 44' sport fisher with a value of $225K. without full fuel the boat is worthless to any offshore use. Does anyone here know the proper procedures for welding inside the tank.
    Kevin
    [XMT 350MPa , XR Feeder & Aluma Pro gun , Dynasty 200DX]