Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding mounting tabs to a unibody

Guys: I plan to add a few mounting tabs to the body of my project car on the interior. They would be small tabs with the same thickness as the body panels...not sure of exact gauge. But essentially sheet metal thickness and a lap joint. I am new to welding and using a Diversion 180. My big question is what precautions do I need to take to make sure I don't hurt the car's electrics. This is thin enough that I will be at low amperage. I will place the ground cable as close as possible to the weld area. Is that my only precaution or do I need to do more to make sure the electrical system won't be harmed in any way? Probably a dumb question, but you guys are the experts. I appreciate it!

Disconnect the battery in addition to keeping the ground close to the work.

I agree with kb on both aspects watched my father to it most of my life.

If your worried about hurting the battery then either disconnect both leads or none at all. I have seen on more than one occasion someone disconnecting the ground only & having the battery shorted out.

The most important part is to have a good close ground on clean metal.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137