Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I still class myself a beginner but I find the biggest downside to the 211 is the duty cycle. That's probably more a problem for a beginner than a shop owner. I say this because I spend a lot of time practicing which is a lot of bead, bead, bead, bead, repetition. When I build something with a lot of small joints it isn't a problem. I've been thinking a beginner would be better off buying a good used machine with a high duty cycle and move to something with a 211 duty cycle later when the practice sessions aren't as common.

Don't get me wrong about the 211 though. I love the machine.

Default millermatic 211 or 212 or 252

Stickermigtigger;

I have been welding for over 20 years.

I do not consider myself a beginner nor a pro but somewhere in between.

I have never hit the duty cycle on my Lincoln SP170-T even when fabricating a utility trailer with 90+ degree temps.

The reason I want the bigger mig is to

1. Replace the 2 welders (small mig and AC/DC stick)
    2. Do aluminum
    3. Be my last mig welder purchase

You aren't really going to be running into duty cycle issues unless you are welding heavier plate and near the limits of the machine. Anything 60% or higher is good since that equals 6 mins for every 10 mins. In Canada welding is a 3 yr program to get to Journeyman and I'm on my second yr. I was going to get a 212 for my home shop but have decided on a XMT350 MPa MigRunner setup. I would buy the best you can afford but no need to go crazy if it isn't going to be making money for you. Both the 212 and 252 are good machines. There isn't a huge difference in price so if you can get the 252 then no reason not to. Personal preference but I like having the digital controls too.

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Stickermigtigger;

I have been welding for over 20 years.

I do not consider myself a beginner nor a pro but somewhere in between.

I have never hit the duty cycle on my Lincoln SP170-T even when fabricating a utility trailer with 90+ degree temps.
    I'm just sayin that I've seen the little white duty cycle warning light come on on my machine while running many beads practicing with my 211. Wasn't trying to make any comments about you or your experience. Your much more advanced than I am. I don't even know what a SP170-T is. :-)

''I'm just sayin that I've seen the little white duty cycle warning light come on on my machine while running many beads practicing with my 211.''

Is the fan blocked or machine located with little airflow ?? Is it on a cart that has a solid back restricting airflow ? What material thickness ?

BD1;

No Offence taken; I was only explaining my situation and experience.

I truly do want the 252 as I believe it should be my last MIG purchase(I am 35 and don't intend getting into any production type work)

Hate to blow $1500 on a smaller machine and later want/need to upgrade.

I know the 211 is a great machine but it does have its place and limits.

I can pick up a used 30A spool gun for the 252 for $700 Canadian funds which would save me about $500 from new so I will see what I can work out in the next week

If you go with the 252 and purchase the spool gun let us know what you think. That is one investment that I would like to make. I have had a 251 for years and have loved it. For the last few months I have been using the 252 and absolutely love it. But I also weld for long periods if time on 1/2" plate and heavy struc. steel. Still have not perfected my spot and stitch settings but they are sure handy when set right. Good luck with your purchase and get back to us with the outcome.

Yup will do!

Waiting on a few things

1. Sell my Lincoln SP170-T
    2. See if LWS will get 2 used 252's in and price
    3. Sell me Sparkler AC/DC stick

Default Miller 252

While I have much less experience than many on this forum, I do know a nice welding machine when I see one. A friend who is a professional machinist and welder has let me use his Miller 252 on numerous occasions. the thickest material I've welded on it was 1/4" and it really does nice beads with little effort. He uses straight CO2 fior light fabrication and it does fine.

I like that it has a variable power control and is spool gun ready. The power capabilities will be more than I will ever need as well.

I'm not familiar with the other, smaller machines such as the 211 and 212 but if Miller makes them, I'm pretty sure that they would perform well in their class.

I've had a Lincoln SP175 Plus for about 8 years and I just gave that to my son since he has developed an interest in welding. That was a nice machine but it didn't have the spool gun capability.

I also have a Syncrowave 200 that does very nicely for my Tig and stick hobby work, mainly on cars and motorcycles. I'm pretty sure that a 252 is going to be my next machine in the very near future.
    Last edited by Synchroman; 06-30-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Update!

Lincoln SP170-T SOLD

Still no word on used 252's so

LWS will match (almost) online price $2195 U.S. vs $2215.95 Canadian

With the Loonie being worth 0.95 U.S right now plus customs and the trouble of having to return to the USA for warranty issues I believe I will buy in Ontario.

Lets see if I can get a few goodies thrown in!