Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Dual Shield Welding: Flux Core with Gas (Videos)

Goodafternoon, everyone!

Here are a couple videos that I wanted to share..

A little while back a buddy of mine, Peter Zila was nice enough to drive out to the farm and brought, among other things, a roll of Lincoln Dual-Shield wire.

I'd never run Dual-Shield before, and man is it fun... Kinda like a combination of Mig and Stick welding... I really liked it.

Anyway, here's a two-part video on Gas Shielded Flux Core wire, what it is, some tips for running it, and what it's used for. Hope y'all enjoy it

Part 1:

Part 2:

I run similar wire at our shop all the time. I heard you say that you wondered how it would work on 1/8". If we are in a hurry and don't have a rig setup with solid we just increase travel speed ALOT! Great stuff and like you said it's hot. By the way I like the you tube vids. Have fun and keep them coming

Well I purchased a roll of flux core but haven't tried it yet. Thought I would keep it around just in case.

Looks like it does great job and now I am eager to have a go with it.

Thanks for posting the videos.

As I recall,,,, "Dual shield" is strictly an ESAB trademark. Lincoln uses the name "outershield". Hobart uses something else entirely, I think "Excellarc or something similar. Let's keep the terminology straight, if you are talking about 71-T wire, CALL it that, don't steal brand-names for your own purposes.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 06-05-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

JSFAB, I agree with all the variants out there and the names for them. Never used any of the ones you stated but have used the bulk oversea companies.

Well had to go buy some an see what the hype was about.lol. Lemme say, I love flux core. Runnin Hobart E-71T-11. I love that it deposits fast, burns hot, easy to transition and has a very nice bead appearance. Also really sweet to have the fan directly on me in this humid heat.

I don't understand how ChuckE's air-handler can remove smoke but not gas from the weld zone, could someone explain how the technology works to me? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I don't understand how ChuckE's air-handler can remove smoke but not gas from the weld zone, could someone explain how the technology works to me? Thanks
    I believe it is due to the distance from the weld zone.

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    I believe it is due to the distance from the weld zone.
    Cope, after reading your comment that makes perfect sense, welding smoke and fumes are probably lighter than the shielding gas and can be pulled away from a distance whilst not disturbing the WZ. thanks