Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Manufactures make the tools so we can buy them. Each tool has its place and each person has his or her tool of choice. Some of us can afford them all and others cannot afford shoelaces. It's what you have and how you make it work.
    A old guy told me that anybody could do it with the right tool.
    Exactly right BD1. Me not getting hyped up over plasma is nothing more than a personal choice... right/wrong does not apply. I have been using O/A with no problems for years so why do I "have" to use a plasma cutter and why do I "have" to cut at break neck speeds? Different strokes for different folks applies here.

I'm a bit confused on the moisture issue.... seems like some plasma users spend a ton of money on equipment to remove moisture from their air lines to extend consumable life while others spend under a hundred bucks. Something don't jibe.

I don't spray paint or use air tools that often I should sink a bunch of cash into a airline so I can cut steel faster than the speed of light. 99% of my saws and drills run off electric not air. I don't work with roller skates on either.

turbo38t Guest

well...I do a lot of bucket repair and you would have a hard time cutting through hard surface with a torch.....air arc or plasma is a must.if this is a pride thiing well ok then....I do plenty of my sidework with TIG just because.....but when someone is paying u to do work u do the most efficient job u can, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Exactly right BD1. Me not getting hyped up over plasma is nothing more than a personal choice... right/wrong does not apply. I have been using O/A with no problems for years so why do I "have" to use a plasma cutter and why do I "have" to cut at break neck speeds? Different strokes for different folks applies here.

I'm a bit confused on the moisture issue.... seems like some plasma users spend a ton of money on equipment to remove moisture from their air lines to extend consumable life while others spend under a hundred bucks. Something don't jibe.

I don't spray paint or use air tools that often I should sink a bunch of cash into a airline so I can cut steel faster than the speed of light. 99% of my saws and drills run off electric not air. I don't work with roller skates on either.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    well...I do a lot of bucket repair and you would have a hard time cutting through hard surface with a torch.....air arc or plasma is a must.if this is a pride thiing well ok then....I do plenty of my sidework with TIG just because.....but when someone is paying u to do work u do the most efficient job u can, no?
    I agree. When you do A LOT of the same work and a SPECIFIC TOOL will be more efficient, increase productivity, and you can pass some of the cost on to the customer then fine. You gotta do it.
    It's the same with buying quality tools. Everybody likes the big buck stuff. If you can afford them great. I was gonna buy the Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw for a specific project. Saw the price and figured it would take a long time to pay for it self . I bought the cheap harbor freight one and I can't believe it is still running. I've had such great results with it I know it will die now that I said this.

turbo38t Guest

I am not trying to be an ass with my replies. It just sounded like he was saying that a plasma wasn't worth it's weight.....two weeks ago a coworker and I had to skin 14 wooden concrete radius forms. This required upwards of 50 sheets of 14 gauge sheet metal. We had to trim every piece **** near......don't know what I would have done without the plasma....
    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I agree. When you do A LOT of the same work and a SPECIFIC TOOL will be more efficient, increase productivity, and you can pass some of the cost on to the customer then fine. You gotta do it.
    It's the same with buying quality tools. Everybody likes the big buck stuff. If you can afford them great. I was gonna buy the Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw for a specific project. Saw the price and figured it would take a long time to pay for it self . I bought the cheap harbor freight one and I can't believe it is still running. I've had such great results with it I know it will die now that I said this.

holy crap, makita still makes them things, i bought one back in 1987 for 500 bucks, i still have it, cutting 10 ga is a work out, especially long straight cuts, the steel after the cut rides up on the base, you will need to grap that thing real hard to keep it going and muscle it thru. also watch for sharp small pieces of steel coming up from underneath just trying to nail your fingers to the tool, have fun,

You guys arguing with tackit are spitting in the wind. He never said Plasma was bad, just that in HIS experience, HE did not need it. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    holy crap, makita still makes them things, i bought one back in 1987 for 500 bucks, i still have it, cutting 10 ga is a work out, especially long straight cuts, the steel after the cut rides up on the base, you will need to grap that thing real hard to keep it going and muscle it thru. also watch for sharp small pieces of steel coming up from underneath just trying to nail your fingers to the tool, have fun,
    Yep, my Bosch 6 ga. will treat you as badly as an old triple reduction 3/4" drill that gets stuck...arms, legs, whatever available body part can and will take a beating.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

After all the negative comments about the machine I'm going to send it back. I asked about the machine on a couple of websites before I ordered it and no one brought up these serious problems .... Thanks for the negative information, I'll be sending it back...TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    You guys arguing with tackit are spitting in the wind. He never said Plasma was bad, just that in HIS experience, HE did not need it. YMMV
    Your right cope, I don't have a problem with plasma as a cutting tool..

It's just I don't have the proper air system to run Plasma full time and I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a air system I use mostly to pump up tires and run air tools occasionally, which do fine with the $100 NAPA filter/regulator I have coming off the tank.

I have an electric powered Evolution circular saw, Ellis 1600 bandsaw, Milwaukee Port a Band, Milwaukee Chop Saw and my O/A outfit and tip cleaners to cut steel with, I'm in no bind because I don't use Plasma. All I'm saying is I'm not investing in an expensive air system just to run a plasma machine that I can do without.
    Last edited by tackit; 06-05-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Came across this picture of a BP air line after only a few years of service. It was on an air compressor manufacturer's website. They were pushing their aluminum piping system which must be latest in airline technology today.