Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bought one of these today

I have a large stack of 10 ga. sheets this shear will come in handy cutting up. It's a lot faster than setting up the plasma or torch, all I need is an extension cord and my straight edge...and plasma consumable will only continue go higher.

I bought the last one they had.. good price .

http://www.tools-plus.com/makita-js3...term=MAKJS3201
    Last edited by tackit; 05-31-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Never used a shear on 10-GA before, always used a nibbler.
    http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/M...FcU5QgodtS8A9A

Looking forward to the results. The shear can go as tight as a 2'' radius. Never used either for that thickness.

I'll put some pictures of cuts up after I get it... I was debating between shear and nibbler, after considering what others that have used them said it seemed to me the shear fit my needs better.

Curious as to how long the blade will last on 10 gauge. I have one for lighter gauge but never use it. I dont like the distortion it makes. Also have a Modern nibbler but dont use it either.
    Last edited by fabricator; 06-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Curious as to how long the blade will last on 10 gauge. I have one for lighter gauge but never use it. I dont like the distortion it makes. Also have a Modern nibbler but dont use it either.
    I imagine speed and distortion has a lot to do with blade adjustment and the sharpness of the blades themselves. Pushing a dull tool could produce bad results.

I use a product by Walter on all my cutting edges, the stuff really makes a difference in the quality of a cut, life of a cutting edge and the performance of a tool. I'll be using it on the shears too.

http://www.walter.com/Walter/en-us/m...icants/coolcut
    Last edited by tackit; 06-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.

What's the difference between that and the Makita JS3200? I recently bought a 3200 and like it.

I can't imagine that being faster than a plasma unless you have it stored away. For me I just flip the switch & turn on the air. I too am curious as to the edge quality on 10 gauge.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    What's the difference between that and the Makita JS3200? I recently bought a 3200 and like it.
    Probably not that much difference, especially if you like the way your's cuts. The product probably just needed a face lift to keep up with it's competition in the market place.

Glad you said you like yours. I have faith in the Makita brand.... if they say it was built to cut 10 ga I would assume the tool making nice clean cuts was on top of their list of things for the tool to accompolish.

Just like hacking with a to expensive to run plasma machine that sits in the corner... I use O/A and a tip cleaner mostly, they can stick their high price plasma consumables where the sun don't shine....metal doesn't know or care if it's cut by a saw, plasma or O/A outfit. or a Makita shears ...

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Just like hacking with a to expensive to run plasma machine that sits in the corner... I use O/A and a tip cleaner mostly, they can stick their high price plasma consumables where the sun don't shine....metal doesn't know or care if it's cut by a saw, plasma or O/A outfit. or a Makita shears ...
    Tackit,
    Now you've peaked my interest. I've been considering a plasma cutter and it would be nice to hear the opposing viewpoint. Everyone I've talked to either owns one or sells them. They have all said they are the "greatest thing since sliced bread". But one has to realise that salesmen and those that have invested in something may be reluctant to diss it. What kind do you have and what has been your experience? I currently use a vertical band saw(Doall) power hacksaw, O/A torch,chop saw or strand mounted manual shear for cutting.---Meltedmetal

ps forgot about arcair, haven't used it in a while.
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 06-02-2013 at 11:17 AM.