Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default flame vs rotary cut pipe bevel

Why would one be preferred over the other? Rotary doesnt have a HAZ or require any (much?) cleanup but the equipment is very expense relative to flame bevelling. Im sure Im missing more important points.

Any one???

What material and grade of pipe?

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Same question was asked when I was in school. Teach said that each has their place. On the back of a rig in a field, a torch beveler might be all you can run because you cannot get enough power off that bobcat to run a rotary.

A rotary might be useful some where you cannot have a shower of sparks flying around, like a gas refinery. And why would HAZ be a worry, if your going to weld the pipe anyway, it would not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by joeftw18 View Post
    Same question was asked when I was in school. Teach said that each has their place. On the back of a rig in a field, a torch beveler might be all you can run because you cannot get enough power off that bobcat to run a rotary.

A rotary might be useful some where you cannot have a shower of sparks flying around, like a gas refinery. And why would HAZ be a worry, if your going to weld the pipe anyway, it would not matter.
    That a bunch of $ to tie up for the occasional use. Also seems a Bobcat should run one pretty easily.

For high yield strength pipe and the like it seems there would be some cause for concern. Welding parameters are strict (as I understand it) and flaming cutting may not be acceptable in that it overheats the pipe + there would need to be some post heat procedure. So, in that case perhaps some other cutting method is necessary.

ETA: It also occured to me that not all materials can be cut w/ flame. So, in that case perhaps the rotary machine might be used.
    Last edited by HayFarmer; 06-03-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Regular oxy/acy beveling machine by a far, far, far wide margin on any carbon steel, of any grade. Using anything else is throwing dollars out the window.

As already mentioned your haz is a result of the welding process and/or travel speed and current (those variables are addressed in the procedure), beveling the pipe is immaterial.

There isn't any clean up on a proper cut bevel, just a few seconds to put on a land.

J

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    What material and grade of pipe?

J
    No idea...any I suppose.

Speed and consistency. Plus as previously mentioned not all materials can be torch cut.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by strictlycarved View Post
    Speed and consistency. Plus as previously mentioned not all materials can be torch cut.

A thermal beveling machine is a lot faster than any mechanical machine I've ever seen.

Beveling machines will run with an oxy/acy torch or a plasma.

J