Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small tree pulling device.

Hello chaps,
    I have a problem with some small trees growing on the outer edges of my land. I have been able to rip them out of the ground, using a chain and nylon cord. My main problem doing this is that the nylon ends up being very hard to remove after because it locks up. Sometimes it slips and just strips the trees.
    So I have an idea in my head of welding something up, one part, a sort of hook this is placed behind the base of the tree, then a further part presses the tree into the hook when the chain is tightened by the truck pulling away. Obviously all one fixture involving some pivots.
    I have no idea how to post my idea, so have any of you some ideas that could help me please.
    Yesterday I spent two hours pulling four trees that were no more than two inches thick at the base, the rope just kept slipping, when I did get a good hold, the tree came up like a tooth but took ages for the rope to be freed again.
    Any help would be very kind, I also promise to post a picture of the welded article.

Default Like this...?

MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post

Well that is very close to my minds eye of the tool needed. I had not thought of the grabbing aspect in that way but it does look like it could be replicated. My idea came to me as a pull and push at the same time, this rear both sides grip idea would be easier to build than mine but I now have too think how the grip part can be built. I see no reason why it should swivel, if strong enough it will just rip the tree around the area. There must be a reasonable spring holding the two faces together, allowing the grip to be maintained as you walk back to the truck.
    Thanks for the clip, kind of you to bother and help me.
    Cheers,
    James.

In the long run it would be cheaper to buy it from Northern tool

Several ideas here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...all-trees.html

The pipe & chain device is simple to make.

IMG_0718_zps72e80f4c.jpg

A nylon flat strap with looped ends and choke it. If it wants to slip put a vice grip or a clamp on the tree to hold it. Or drive a few nails above the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    Several ideas here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...all-trees.html

The pipe & chain device is simple to make.

IMG_0718_zps72e80f4c.jpg
    This is the easiest. I made one of these 30 years ago and it does the job perfect.
    You cannot beat it for pulling like dogwoods or *****willows. you could even take a grinder and cut teeth on the end of pipe. I made mine out of 3'' schedule 40 so my log chain with hook drops though it. All you need to do is cut a slot for the chain hook to lock on to.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtow30t View Post
    In the long run it would be cheaper to buy it from Northern tool
    Well after spending a small fortune on a Dynasty 200 DX, CST 280 and a 211 I am rather inclined to use them when possible, something like this also keeps the brain cells activated.
    I could have purchased a utility trailer but mine is rather special, my SS grill is also something I am rather proud of and there is nothing on the market that comes close in terms of quality. I was at a motor racing meeting a couple of years ago and a bloke came up and commented on both of these items, he turned out to be a school welding teacher, we have kept in contact since.
    I recently repaired a SS olive oil holder, took a lot longer that I had imagined. The wife said I was crazy, I may be but in my mind I am proud of some of the small things I have repaired or created.
    I am also lucky in having the free time but if I was given one of what I need, I would say no thank you and still build my own,it is just the way I am.
    Got to keep the little grey cells working when you get older.

Do you have a utility tractor with a 3 point hitch ?

Default Use Chain Only

Take a log chain & pass it around the tree once; wrap end of chain around chain on other side (turn. The chain leading away from the tree 45 degrees from direction of pull); wrap chain around tree in other direction & fasten chain with end hook. The force of pulling will clamp the chain to the tree.

I pulled six 3-4" stumps this way with my Landcruiser 2 weeks ago.

If for any reason this chain knot doesn't work for you, tightly wrap the tree with the chain & drill a couple of large lag screws above the chain.