Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mig problem

Default mig problem

OK, I'm new to welding, doing some plug welds on test pieces, there going good, but as soon as I move over to the car I'm working on, I can't run a bead. It just pops and leaves little balls og weld. Its the same thickness. What I've got to do first is when I pulled the radiator support out, I pulled a little chunk of sheetmetal with it from the piece it was attached to. So I'm trying to weld in a little piece in to fill the space. Now, this is the inner fenderwell and upright assembly, its doublewall, but the whole is only missing from the top piece I'm trying to fix, ant ideas?

Do you have a clean area for the Ground Clamp?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

yes, I even put a c-clamp over the gr clamp. Its an 04' mustang. I don't think they'd have a corrosion protection over that metal that you can't weld though.

To echo Ed"s question, did you grind the area clean where you are connecting your ground? And how far from where you are welding did you make this connection?---Meltedmetal

ok, I just tried the same weld again, but on test pieces, and I put teck screws through the two pieces im welding together into the rad. support. area under the two pieces was cleaned to metal with wire brush down to metal and cleaned under ground clamp. just clamped a piece of number 4solid copper wire to the pieces and put my welder gr clamp to that and still same results. If turn up higher it burns the meal away, but only the top pieces I'm trying to attach

Is the paint all cleaned off the area? Are you sure it is steel (check with a magnet)? Is the car outside?Try to bump up the gas flow when you move out to the car, or shield the area from drafts.

didnt ford dip some of their frames in galvy, if so, take a sharp object and try to scrape it off to the best you can

I tried again, this time instead of just wirebrushing the pieces, I hit them with a grinder, if there was galv., its off now. Two things I tried with the piece, plug weld the 4 corner, did work, but the weld stood kind of hi, and might not have penetrated enough. Second thing was I made a 5/8" hole in the middle with a holesaw and tried to weld the slug that came out of the holesaw into the whole, mimicking what I have to do on the car, lower setting weld sits high and dosent look like it penetrated , higher setting it blew the thinner metal away. it is metal. my new piece is 22ga, substrate is 18ga. 18ga is on top of another 18 ga, they are stop welded together. I guess that's part of my problem,. different thickness. tried starting from center and working out and still no luck.

Set your machine to the thicker material and keep the center of the puddle on it, only hittingthe thinner material with the edge of the puddle so you don't burn thru it, if you are properly grounded and your metal is clean then you shouldn't have a problem

Make sure when you cut your wire off with your pliers you always make 90 degree cuts, a pointed wire will cause bad starts. Is it possible the double wall is interfering with gas reaching the weld? any fans blowing on you?