Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best shocks for welding rig

I've got an 06 gmc 2500 and it supposedly has a 4" lift. I am in need of shocks for it. It's got a pretty heavy skid in it and I'm wondering what are some of the better and longer lasting shocks that will be good for a truck this heavy

I have been a big fan of the bilstein performance stuff. I think they quit making the 5150, but that was a great shock. If you can afford them the 7100 series are available in a multitude of valving and can be rebuilt.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

My 11 power wagon came with bilstiens and 3 are leaking oil @ 55,000 mi. Granted I off road it everyday in the oilfield. But still I never had shocks blow this early.

Bilstein shocks have been around for quite some time and are great shocks. There are many excellent shock manufacturers out there. I have raced off road for years and tried almost all major brands. For your purpose there are many options. Budget is your only restriction. You can go full custom valved to your trucks weight, spring type etc. or you can buy pre valved shocks for a lifted truck. Look at Rancho suspensions xl series, they have larger shafts and more fluid capacity due to bigger main bodies.

Thanks guys. I don't need to go a out and get top of the like but I would like some good shocks that are good for holding this much weight.

the springs actually hold the weight. the shocks dampen the bounce. just sayin

Yeah but a lighter duty shock will have a harder time controlling the momentum of a heavier truck, right? The heavier the truck, the more capability the shock will have to have of controlling the excess weight.

Default You said...

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan85 View Post
    Thanks guys. I don't need to go a out and get top of the like but I would like some good shocks that are good for holding this much weight.
    Words have meanings...he was correcting what the words you typed mean. It is good you understand that. It seems you do have a good grasp on what id going on, but "we" can't read your mind... Carry on and remember, you get what you pay for, if you stick to name brand.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I run napa grande 60 i think they call them.They have a lifetime warranty and have been swaping them out every couple of years for free.Can,t get much better then that imo.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Skyjacker Nitros are my favorite. Gas charged like factory, stiff valving for the heavier truck, and a nice price tage <$50 each. Very well built with poly bushings and large diameter piston.