Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default tucked in welding shirts or not?

I need reasons why welders don't tuck in their welding shirts, our safety wants us to tuck in our welding shirts !!!

Cool

Because when you get a big hot spark that goes in the top 99% of the time you can keep it rolling right down a pant leg and out a bottom. Now if you wear slip on boots you still may have a hot foot....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Your safety people are probably thinking about you catching your shirt in a side grinder. Does your welding job also require you to work around revolving shafts, moving belts or large stationary grinders? I've had my shirt tail get caught in a 7" grinder that had a wire wheel on it a couple of times.

I don't tuck my shirt in and the reasons are:

1) so that sparks/hot slag don't end up getting stuck between my shirt and pants and burning themselves out there.

2) So that spatter that once in a while goes down my shirt from around my neck falls right out on the ground unless it gets stuck between my tucked in t-shirt and my pants (kinda like 1 above).

Ask me how I know 1 and 2 above. Ask me how easy it is to get one of those little buggers out of there when it's smoking hot. You just end up s uc king it up.

If it's not tucked in the sparks just fall to the ground. If there wasn't a REAL danger of the shirt tails getting caught on something dangerous, getting set on fire, your getting pulled into some machinary because of them not being tucked in, I'd tell you safety guy to go pound sand and then go where ever that ride takes you without caving in (short of getting fired).

t-shirt tucked in & welding shirt out. All sparks & slag that hit your shirt just roll/bounce off instead of having a chance to get stuck in your waistline. I can see the shirttail getting caught can be a hazard also but you'll need to pick the least dangerous.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

My helper does the grinder & buffer work , I don't !
    Thanks for the input guys !

Shirt un- tucked. And you will shed slag like a roof sheds water. Sometimes if I'm scarfin bucket teeth off or making a lot of slag torching, I got leathers I wear over my boot laces ( my ankles are too trashed for pull on boots).

turbo38t Guest

Whatever works for you. I always wear cotton blue pants and long button down top over a tshirt. I always tuck them both in. U learn how to not burn yourself. I prefer to have a clean look rather than the hobo look. Throw a leather weld jacket on over top if you are burning yourself that bad. I more often get burnt by slag I chip off that sit on top of my knee or on my forearms....Dave

Default In The Trenches

I do 95% of my welding in the trenches, although I guess that gives me the "Hobo" look, it keeps my pockets and the back of my underwear getting full of dirt. Welding, just what the other guys posted, keeps the slag running downhill.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

The thing is guys that Aera the contractor that runs the oil lease after 20 years of not tucking in our welding shirts wants everyone to tuck them in now ,this is coming from there safety department , from people that don't no anything about the trade !