Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default How To Measure VOLTAGE and Wire-Feed Speed (IPM) on a MIG Welder (Video)

Hey y'all... Hope everyone's having a great memorial day

Anyway, here's my latest video. Its about how to use a volt-meter and a tape measure, or a measuring stick, to see what WFS and voltage your MIG is actually putting out...

As you know, not all machines come with digital readouts or standard measurements (IPM, or Metric Equivalent) on the "WFS" dial, and if you're wanting to run, say, 300 IPM at 26 volts for example, you're gonna have to know this stuff...

Peter, a buddy of mine, explains how its done with minimal tools, and minimal time. We recently shot a number of videos together and I'm planning to upload one every weekend... It was a blast, I got to learn something new, and I got a table of precise IPM values for my welder written down for future use. It was really fun... And here's the first video. Hope y'all enjoy it

I'll repeat here what I stated over on WW.

Common information that has been covered numerous times but good video just the same.

However, a few critiques.

1) Turn the gas off when doing WFS tests to save your shielding gas.
    2) No doubt he meant 100% CO2 not Argon as he stated when referring to the manufacturer's book.
    3) I would have slapped him silly if he poked thru my gun power cable insulation. Use the output studs!
    4) Don't waste wire. Release the drive rolls and wind the wire back onto the spool by spinning the spool backwards.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110