Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Plasma gouging

Hybrid View

Default Plasma gouging

Has anybody plasma gouged aluminum? Does it work good? How does it weld after gouging the material?

What exactly are you working on. Post more information and I bet people would be more than happy to help you along.

Default Plasma gouging

The joint I'm working on is 3/8 fillet weld on both sides on 3/8 plate aluminum vertical up and I like to do it in 3 passes . The problems is sometimes the fit up isn't prefect and you end up with a gap of about 3/16 or less and when you weld your first pass the back side of the joint gets big globs from filling the gap. When I weld the other side I have to clean up the joint before welding with a die grinder because that's really the only tool that fits in the tight spot and it slow and I hate die grinding aluminum and I'm just wondering if I could use plasma gouging to clean up the joint before welding. I have been welding the joint with the mig and pulsed mig process

Tried ceramic backing on the side opposite your first fillet weld to contain and shape the melted root?
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42