Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Stevenj are you a welding instructor at morris county?

It's really personal preference. There are a lot of really good helmets out there. My recommendation is for your primary helmet don't go cheap (not that you are).

aametalmaster has a really good point about the cover lenses. Having to get special cover plates won't bother you at first but after a while it most likely will. Personally, I wouldn't get a helmet that required me to get special cover plates (none of my helmets have them), or which were a pain to change, but that's just me.

I like my Jackson NexGen quite a bit. Also like my Jackson Halo X with a fixed shade #10 glass gold mirror lens in it. If you don't like really flexible helmets then the HaloX isn't for you. Have a couple other cheapo helmets with standard fixed shades in them as backups. Rarley use them though.

If you haven't already; go down to a few local welding supply stores (if you have them) and check a few out. Look at the head gear, cover plates, easy of operating the controls, number and type of sensors, etc and see what you like. Headgear that is comfortable, stays put, and which is operable with gloves on is a big deal for me. Also like to be able to adjust the controls with my gloves on too.

Have fun in school

Default best welding helmet

I'm assuming that's you joe... Yes I am lol

Yeah Steve it's me lol.

Default Best welding helmet

It is about preference but a good helmet is a good helmet ; i have a tried many and let me tell you jackson true sigth is very good. I have some degree of color blindness and this one make my life easier the amber allows to see the puddle with better definition;specially when tig welding, read all the reviews out there and then decide whaht to buy

I prefer non-autodark lenses. They seem to let you see the puddle a lot better than any AD I've ever used, including the Miller Digital Elite. Also, if you plan to work as a welder (I'm only a hobbyist so I don't know the answer to this), does OSHA even allow the use of AD hoods? Seems like they have no AD "standards" yet.

Miller Titanium 9400! Non flip up. Original elite headgear ( familiar preference.) I use everyday shop work and outside and I Love it!!! Sold my speedglas and bought the titanium. But like stated helmets are a very personal preference kinda thing.

Thanks for the input.. and I will look into the 3m speed glass

9100xx speed glass good choice still deciding if I should get all the xtra add ons air purifier and air cooler

I have had my Elite for about three years. Works well most of the time but eats batteries like crazy and the headgear has broken twice. The other dislike is the outer lens scratches easily.