Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default best welding helmet

I have the miller elite, optrel satellite and a weldmark auto as well out of those the weldmark is the cheapest but I find it to be similar to the Miller elite as far as headgear and Controls. I like the controls on the optrel the best. No need to flip your lid while trying to switch to grind mode or change your shade. Those are all fine if you're in a shop or somewhere that won't beat them up too bad. For the last year my new go to helmet has been the hiderock. It is super cheap, it's light, you can beat it up and it will be just fine. I just recently out an auto cartridge in it and its good enough for me. Working out in the field is too hard on the other helmets.

Miller inferno digital elite;

Works great! Headgear is fully adjustable and comfortable, helmet is light but not cheap!

I am a hobby/home welder so I rarely have the hood on for more than a few hours at a time.

Digital Elite replaced a princess auto AD hood.

I suggest trying at least 5 different hoods on and see which fits you best.

Love my elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I prefer non-autodark lenses. They seem to let you see the puddle a lot better than any AD I've ever used, including the Miller Digital Elite. Also, if you plan to work as a welder (I'm only a hobbyist so I don't know the answer to this), does OSHA even allow the use of AD hoods? Seems like they have no AD "standards" yet.
    I know of several professional weldors who use auto darkening hoods. There is a serious occupational injury from years of nodding your head to drop a hood. One of our long time members suffers from this condition.

Default welding hoods

Love my miller elite. Had it for bout six years, replaced the head-gear once. At work I also have a cheep speed glass #10. It is light but has issues with different lighting. wants to go on an off. I leave it out so anyone can use it or steal it. LOL I home in my shop I have a old speed glass adjustable. Used and abused for years with never a problem. I also a few others that hang on the wall. The last one I tried is a Accu-strike chin operated hood. Main reason I bought it was that it has a built in fan. I thought it would help blow fumes from inside my hood and help keep me cool. I gave it a good try but it is more of a obstacle than it's worth. and it was cheep.

Default osha rules

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I prefer non-autodark lenses. They seem to let you see the puddle a lot better than any AD I've ever used, including the Miller Digital Elite. Also, if you plan to work as a welder (I'm only a hobbyist so I don't know the answer to this), does OSHA even allow the use of AD hoods? Seems like they have no AD "standards" yet.
    This is all I could find in OSHA rules and regulations.
    Helmets and hand shields shall be made of a material which is an insulator for heat and electricity. Helmets, shields and goggles shall be not readily flammable and shall be capable of withstanding sterilization.
    1910.252(b)(2)(ii)(B)
    Helmets and hand shields shall be arranged to protect the face, neck and ears from direct radiant energy from the arc.
    1910.252(b)(2)(ii)(C)
    Helmets shall be provided with filter plates and cover plates designed for easy removal.

I switched to a AD hood years ago. Personal I believe is the way to go. You can get set up and ready to go, steadily flip your hood down check to make sure your tig torch is still in position and go. If you are putting together parts for weld you can leave your hood down and safely tack down parts as you go.

The best welding hoods belong to my employees. Just kidding. I have Miller elite and performance ,Fiber pipe hood. They all work just fine. In fact I bought the elite in 09 or 2010 and have had to replace the lens 3 or 4 times and the warranty covered the cost every time. I dropped the elite off a bridge abutment in to a river. My helper fished out dried it off and didn't miss alick

Who can tell me wich hood has the bigger a.d. variable shade lense ( with a down to earth cost) without the fancy shaped plastic lense protecdtor tarnishing or scratching easy and priced hard.

I have an old a.d jackson from 1996 paid 200$ bought 2 and they are still working well, window is not as big as i wish and not variable.

I love to go to the glass shop and buy 25 glasses for 20$ ;o)

yes they aren't aerodynamic but...i never weld at high speed.

Had the Speedglas for 5 years, did good, along came 2014 started looking closer at the Miller Elite black. Now owning it, sold the SG. I can give three specific points that makes the Miller an outstanding rig.

Put the Miller on, strike and arc, it auto darkens, the Speedglas requires you to manually power it on. Always found turning the SG off and on was a drag, did not like the way the buttons functioned. Next the viewing area is larger, the head gear fit better. Want more the helmet is larger, less back light reflection. I am very pleased with the Miller, should have bought it the first time around, however I would have the old style head gear if I have made the purchase 5 years back.

I do have a question about the Miller, what the h e l l is with that bag, that is a suck design. Not a real big worry truthfully cause the helmet to the subject. I just think that bag is a bad joke.

Below is a side by side check out the size of the window
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greg