Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default best welding helmet

Im a beggiber welder going to school and working at a welding shop what is a better helmet the lincoln 3350 or the miller 9400I money nog an issue if other choices are better pleases let kno

They are both really good hoods, it really comes Down to preference, I prefer the miller versatility with it's interchangeable parts with the miller elite series hoods, such as the headbands, and the clear lenses

I had miller elite and the speedglas both sit on a shelf still just use my fibre passive lens....

If there is any chance that you will be using it outside stay away from the 3350 like the plague. I got one for the advantage of the big window, which is great, but outdoors it's worse than worthless, can't turn the sensitive down low enough that it doesn't go dark every time you look up and if you try overhead on a clear day forget it.

Fussed with Lincoln for over a month about it and they even sent me a replacement lens which was no different than the original. Finally told me that engineering said that was the way it worked and that was that. I'm stuck with it.

I'm sure the Miller and Hobart hoods are good as I have a Hobart I've had about four years and it still works fine. Just wanted a larger window for the ease of my bifocals.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

I have an Optrel e390? Anyway I like it for several reasons - shades down to #7 and the natural colors thru lens.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

What about the miller titanium series

I use my Titanium 9400 mostly for GTAW and man it rocks. The headgear fits my noggin well with the occipital pad getting a good squeeze. The ratchet mechanism is solid, I take it on and off maybe 50 times per day, after one year it still clicks into place and stays there. Four sensors, WeldX mode for outdoors, alarm, arc timer, clock, all work very well. If you SMAW the external grind button is easy to toggle with gloved hands, the inside will flash red if you forget to return to Weld mode before the next arc.

The inside buttons are not raised so if you need tactile confirmation, try another brand.

Had an issue early on with the lens malfunctioning but Miller replaced it. The external lens covers are easy to replace, the inside will fit a standard magnifying lens.

Only two things I would fix would be more side coverage to cut reflected arc, better ear coverage and slope the shelf on the faceplate that catches sparks and melts the plastic. For that reason I use the 9400 almost exclusively for GTAW and a Fibre Metal passive for SMAW, especially cellulosic rods.

Never tried a Lincoln, no help there. You should look at 3M Speedglass too, hear good things about all of them except the headgear being a little cheesy and uncomfortable. The ones I looked at were solid though.

Good luck in school man.
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

Cool

Just remember one thing you will be buying the cover plates for them so find a hood thats easy and affordable to get parts for. I see so many guys whining they can't afford the parts for their high dollar helmet...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I love my 3M Speedglas helmets. I got a G1 Miller helmet and I HATE IT.

I got a Lincoln and don't remember the model, gesh but it was about 200. Came with extra lens cover and bag I don't use. I thought I wanted the larger view but put a cheater in it so that didn't make much sense.

The head gear works great and it seems to be a good quality hood all around.