Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding protection during summer

Summertime is nearing here in central Texas and I am looking for some input. I moved back here from southern **** "California" and wanted some opinions on welding protection. At the moment I have a older flame resistant jacket and leather jacket with long and short bibs with open back. I was contemplating buying a pair of arm sleeves for shop fabrication since there is no overhead welding. What are your thoughts on these and if so what is a cops quality pair. Heat and humidity take a toll when leathers are used. I only have a few Carhart and Wrangler long sleeves and don't want to wash them too often so they don't loose their flame resistance. Thank you for reading and hope I receive some helpful insight.

turbo38t Guest

Maybe you can pick up some blue cotton uniforms? That's all I wear at work. I never where a jacket or sleeves unless it's wintertime. They will not melt to you skin either. Cintas and Red Cap sell them. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas113 View Post
    Summertime is nearing here in central Texas and I am looking for some input. I moved back here from southern **** "California" and wanted some opinions on welding protection. At the moment I have a older flame resistant jacket and leather jacket with long and short bibs with open back. I was contemplating buying a pair of arm sleeves for shop fabrication since there is no overhead welding. What are your thoughts on these and if so what is a cops quality pair. Heat and humidity take a toll when leathers are used. I only have a few Carhart and Wrangler long sleeves and don't want to wash them too often so they don't loose their flame resistance. Thank you for reading and hope I receive some helpful insight.

If you have any ''Goodwill stores'' in your area you may find some 100% cotton work shirts to burn up.

It's Texas, you will cook no matter what you wear. Add long pants, cap, leather gloves, long-sleeve shirt, boots, 150 Amps, 160F+ ground in the blazing sun and it's torture.

Outdoors I use cheap, thin BDU pants, cotton T-shirt, leather cape + bib and an FR umbrella on a homemade pipe stand. Start at daybreak, leave before 3 p.m. or suffer the consequences.

Inside a non-A/C building I use an FR cotton cape + bib and fan pointed at my legs to avoid disturbing the shielding gas. I still knock off around 3 p.m.

I hate Texas in the summer.
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

I lived in Abilene for a couple years, glad I wasn't welding then.

I got to find some cloths also. Shorts and tennis shoes are not working to well. That spatter always finds it way in the shoes. I'm talking backyard rod burning, I wouldn't go out somewhere like that.

I do put on the sleeves but they are old, stiff and hot. I'll be buying some stuff soon.

Is it true that if you starch the **** out of cotton long sleeves they hold up better in welding environments? I have yet to go to Goodwill and an in need of second hand work shirts. Not to mention I would rather wear them instead of "trendy" and overpriced casual wear.

Buy a pack of welding sleeves and cotton button up shirt. I work in vegas and it doesnt provide perfect protection but it works.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Carhartt makes a few really nice, thick western style denim shirts. Their about 40-50 bucks a pop but they are the best shirts I ever had. When u first get them their uncomfortable and stiff so wash em a few times with softener and that makes em comfortable. I order them from a local carhartt dealer and buy like 3 or 4 at a time. They last me about a year n that's pretty good cause I am very hard on them...lol

This one is about 2months old. Its still getting broke in. Its a little hot since its dark but when it fades it gets much better
    Attached Images Attached Images

This one is over a year old and is about to retire. As you can see it has lots of iron on denim patches on it. But it is the most comfortable and cool shirt I have for working in. As for the carhartt FR... don't even waste your time or money. They aren't made for welders, their made more for flash burns. Like for electricians. These 100% cotton shirts hold up longer and are much more comfortable
    Attached Images Attached Images