Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default good deal at lowes on porter cable

I went to lowes for a new cordless drill. Have a 14.4 dewalt that i got good use out of but its just wore out so i went for a new 18v. I came across a clearance sale for a 1/2" 18v porter cable drill kit ( 2 batts, charger n a case) for 80 bucks.. AND!!! I came across a porter cable 18v 4 1/2" angle grinder for 40 bucks.. it came with a couple grinding and cutting wheels. So for 120 bucks i got cordless grinder, couple wheels, 2 batts n a charger and a nice 1/2" drill with case. I have a few porter cable power tools but these are my first cordless. Anyone ever use em? If so how they work for you... did i get a good deal?

I noticed the clearance last weekend. IMO, a cordless grinder is one of the last cordless tools I would buy. I suspect battery life will be less than stellar, but I may be wrong. I have never heard anything bad about P-C. I suspect either they are bringing out a new line, or Lowe's is not going to carry them in the future.

I have one of the grinders...there ok for small jobs but that's about it...but other than that there good quality tools....I bought the combo set on sale a few yrs ago

Pc are alright I use them a good bit at work and home. Which type of battery's did you bet lith or nic . The lith is a lot better.

Default Looking for better quality these days - PC acceptable

We all know the story. The evolution of outsourcing. The selling of names. It's hard to keep track of all the changes and still get a decent product at a reasonable price. That's what this Internet is for, so we can all communicate. I went looking for a bench grinder recently (for my tungsten sharpening) and what it came out to was choice. The big box stores seem to have some kind of agreement to not sell the same brands, and each store only carries one or two brands. Seriously, I am not going to buy a Ryobi bench grinder for $40. So I went to the other box store and got lucky with a PC for twice the price. It had a light. Just like the $300 standing drill press I have from PC. I am very pleased with PC and I expect that I will have these products for the rest of my life. And the important thing is, I don't feel bad when I look at them.

I like a few Porter Cable products. My favorite tool I have of theirs' is their pipe handle drill, I like how they made the forward and reverse on the same trigger rocker switch.

Never heard anything good about a battery powered grinder no matter who makes it. Take the grinder back and get PC pipe handle drill, you will thank me for it.

WELL..... after checking their website and talking to Porter Cable, they quit making their spade handle/pipe handle drill back in 2005. To bad, probably to expensive to make in todays China global garbage products market place...... Glad I have one.
    Last edited by tackit; 05-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Definitely a good sale find Weldon. Went and got the two pack drill/impact driver nicd battery for $99. Home Depot also has the same kinda deal but with Ryobi. Drill/impact lithium ion batt for $99.

The porta cable corded, grinders are a nice back up or even every day grinder, I used one every day I'd say medium duty stuff and it lasted over a year and a half.. I went and bought 3 more...

Cordless grinders are nice if you need a quick cut.. but I wouldn't say there a must have I have the Makita lithium ion... The other Makita cordless tools are great.

I have a buddy that uses the cordless porta cable tools and loves them.
    Trailblazer 275DC
    eleite helment
    millermatic135&140
    375extreme plasma
    new set victor torches
    ingersolrand 185 compressor
    1 big f550w 8 4ft toolboxes full of tools
    o and the rest is too much to list lol
    im very blessed to have all of it paid for

I have the PC standing drill press also. No problems with it.

Never considered a cordless grinder but there has been times I whish I had one just to keep from dragging out an extension cord.

I think cordless grinders are a neat concept but they overload very easily and in short time. They are a nifty item to have when prepping or cleaning small welding joints in the field too. Marital has always been my go to but the Hilti impact screw guns are tough as all get out.