Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Cataract removal and welding

I have to have my cataracts removed, going in the 20 of June to see the doc. Has any welders had theirs removed, was it hard to weld afterwards? Now the SIL is doing the welding, everything goes black when I strike an arc....

I had mine done a couple of years ago, and I have not had any problems. To the contrary, I no longer need reading glasses, so welding is actually easier for me. I asked my Ophthalmologist and he said there was no problem welding.

Just the opposite - had mine done about two years ago as well. No longer need glasses for my far vision problem, the lenses implanted had that correction. Now I need reading or cheaters for anything up close. I was made aware of this before the surgery. Actually it was my wife's cousin that performed the surgery. She advised me not to go with the bifocal implants. She said they are not quite there yet and that I would be disappointed with the out come and they are expensive~ about $2K more.

I had tried bifocal contacts years a go as well - did not like them either. I did the mono-vision with some success.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

Thanks cope, that's reassuring. The doctor at the eye clinic I go to has been doing it for years, I feel confident I'll be in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Just the opposite - had mine done about two years ago as well. No longer need glasses for my far vision problem, the lenses implanted had that correction. Now I need reading or cheaters for anything up close. I was made aware of this before the surgery. Actually it was my wife's cousin that performed the surgery. She advised me not to go with the bifocal implants. She said they are not quite there yet and that I would be disappointed with the out come and they are expensive~ about $2K more.

I had tried bifocal contacts years a go as well - did not like them either. I did the mono-vision with some success.
    Mine are mono vision also, right eye for distance and left eye for close up. Didn't make my self clear, I need no corrective lenses. Dr. told me there was no guarantee I wouldn't need glasses, but I guess I was lucky. My Dr. did not even mention the bifocal lenses.

Crap, thanks for reminding me I have to renew my license next month. I've had glasses for few years but never wear them unless I'm on a long road trip. Now it will be required.

I see pretty good up close but love the cheater. They say I can't see far off but I can see the moon, how far is that, LOL.

Wishing you the best, tackit

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    Crap, thanks for reminding me I have to renew my license next month. I've had glasses for few years but never wear them unless I'm on a long road trip. Now it will be required.

I see pretty good up close but love the cheater. They say I can't see far off but I can see the moon, how far is that, LOL.

Wishing you the best, tackit

Thank You Hardrock, I appreciate your best wishes.