Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Red Head Trubolt job done

The first pictures are of a new Extech IR thermometer. I been wanting one for silver brazing.

The other pics show how I did the Trubolt job.

I used masking tape and a center finder punch to mark the holes, the marks came out real nice, the brackets and holes lined right up after the table was put back in place..

I lifted the table with the jack to get the plates out of the floor so me and the SIL could move the table out of the way to drill the holes.... they lifted right out, no problem at all. I used my pinch bar and sledge to move the table back into position.

The plates went down into the floor easily after the holes were drilled, blew all four holes out with the compressor, then pushed the angle iron brackets up to the pipe legs, the holes matched up perfectly thanks to the center finder punch marks on the tape.

The last picture shows how with the weight of the generator the legs on the opposite side of the crane stayed down on the floor...before the trubolts, they lifted 6" off the floor with the same generator. The generator is about two inches off the floor, just high enough for the crane to hold the weight of the machine.

I left the trublots long... I might be able to use them for an attachment of some kind in the future. I'm going to put 3/8 fuel line over the threads to protect them.

The trubolts were 3/8 X3 3/4 long. torqued to 25 ft/lbs, the holes were drilled 3" into the floor.

Pictures were taken with my new Canon SX500IS, I'm going to love shooting pictures with this little camera...

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/cy...TRUEBOLT%20JOB Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by tackit; 05-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.

I would have just drilled right through the plates with the roto, faster and no chance of of misalignment. But otherwise looks great. Now you can really use the table!

The bolts had to have been longer than 3/4. Typo I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I would have just drilled right through the plates with the roto, faster and no chance of of misalignment. But otherwise looks great. Now you can really use the table!

The bolts had to have been longer than 3/4. Typo I'm sure.
    Mr. C the table had to be moved because the Roto Hammer drill was to high to fit under the welding tables shelf. You're right about the length of the Trubolt, it's
    3-3/4" long.

Like you say... now I can lift anything up to 400 lbs, the cranes limit at the boom's fully extended setting onto the table or use the crane to hold a piece of work that needs to be welded or have mechanical work done on it..

Thanks to you guys that helped me understand the process, it made a difference.... smooth as clock work it was....

I see. Well scratch out my critique! Glad everything worked out for you. Those wedge anchors are the jam. Fast, easy, and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I see. Well scratch out my critique! Glad everything worked out for you. Those wedge anchors are the jam. Fast, easy, and strong.
    It's hard to tell from pictures what's really going on because of angles shots are taken from I guess. I see in the picture of the generator hanging one leg looks like it's touching the floor.

Nice fab and photography work. I noticed the shameless shot of your new torque wrench too.

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    Nice fab and photography work. I noticed the shameless shot of your new torque wrench too.
    Thanks cope, I hope the project (although small) will help someone else that's never installed trubolts before. Those torque wrenches are at the top of my list of hand tools to be proud of. Thanks for brining them to my attention.

The little Canon really did a good job, I didn't touch the photo's other than resize them, my other cameras would get the color wrong due to the florescent lighting in the shop.

How much was the camera?

Cary, around 250.