Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default mustang core support

Hi, I just got a new mm180autoset and have no welding exp. I'm going to weld a new radiator core support on a 04 mustang. New support has whats called an ecoating on it. Is that a weld through coating? I bought some weldthrough primer for the frame members where they contact the support, but don't know what I should do with the ecoating on the new support, any advise would be appreciated, thank you

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you planning to weld on the radiator?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

No he is making a support for his radiator. He wants to know if the factory coating on the stock radiator support is weldable. I'm gonna venture a guess it is not. But I don't know.

Yea, the new support has the ecoating on it. Not shure if it acts like a weldthrough primer or not. I've heard yes, and I've heard no, WTF?

Drill your holes for your plug welds in the core support . You can weld them up with out taking off the e coat but u might get a little porosity in your weld. It can be done if you have some experience.
    Or you can grind off the e coat and spray your weld through primer on the bare metal areas. I was told in I-car to only remove the weld through primer from the actual spot (plug weld area ) you'll be welding. The primer is just to pertect the bare metal around where you ground off the e coat or on the car where you prep the area for fit up . I've tried to weld through the weld through primer before many times but never really had good success.

I'm bad at explaining things. Maybe someone els can chime in too if you don't understand what I'm saying. Don't over think it. Good luck.

I have never had luck welding anything but clean bare metal.

You have to drill out the spot welds obviously to remove the old core support , when u weld in the new one use 3/8 plug welds to replicate spot welds and be sure to use weld thru coating on all the joined surfaces

Thank you. So, I guess I should remove ecoat to welding points and recoat with weldthrough, then when parts are clamped in place, remove weldthrough that's visable inside the hole, then do my weld. I'll practice on some scrap first since this is my first time.

Grind off the ecoat you can weld threw it with a little more heat but you get sloppy welds I have not found a weld threw primer that will leave nice welds
    MM140 AS
    375 Xstream
    Diversion 180
    Dynasty 200DX