Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default best grinding wheel for aluminum?

weld9.jpg

Hey there. I have made some welds on 3/16" aluminum. the welds need to be ground down. whats the best wheel to take off the initial weld, then whats best to blend? i need them in the a.m. so i can only go to home depot or harbour freight. can you tell me what store carrys what i need? thanks.
    Last edited by westpoint; 05-17-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Sandpaper flap discs work great. Course ones to start fine to finish. If you can't find those you can use a regular grinding wheel but cover the wheel and weld with crisco shortening this will keep the wheel from plugging with aluminum. Sounds weird but I do it all the time on my surface grinder and the wheel is not plugged

Multi flap. Does the best blending on any material.

For rough grinding of aluminum I use a wheel designed for aluminum, seems to cut better than the steel ones. The steel ones seem to hop around on aluminum. Then a flap disc for the final bling finish
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

i spray wd 40 on the wheel and work. im sure other light oils will do the same.makes a mess but rips through aluminum.keeps the wheel from clogging. sait and im sure the other top brands make a wheel for aluminum that do a great job but are expensive. i use those when i dont want an oily mess

keep all you old flapper wheels the older they get the better they are .i use new ones to take off and smooth the welds and then i put on an old one to polish it.the older they are the better it polishes

Default best grinding wheel for aluminum?

I do mainly architectural now and when grinding aluminum flap wheels are much to easy to create a low spot. Use sanding discs with stiff rubber backers(like 3m products not the plastic backers at homedepot). All you have to do is scuff the pad with a "slick stick" or some other paste like lubricant.

Last edited by tackit; 05-18-2013 at 05:25 PM.

I use flap wheels for most of my aluminum.. then when I need a nice finish I use Walter blending wheels.. the ones with the Velcro pad. You can put a shiny finish on just about anything with em, their expensive and I can only find em at welding suppliers but their well worth it