Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tightening a Receiver Tube

I'm wanting to cut a couple of holes in my concrete floor and install some 2" receiver hitch tubes in them to be able to install and remove some portable stands. The problem is that there is a bit of play in 2" O.D. square tubing, and that play is accentuated the longer the inserted tube gets. Without cutting (and keeping) a much larger opening in the concrete to allow for the installation of some tightening bolts, does anybody have any ideas to accomplish this project?
    Thanks in advance.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

What about welding one or two beads on two sides and grinding them down to the snugness you are satisfied with? This should take up the slack in the fit without having set screws to tighten.

Ditto, It doesn't take much to fill the gap. Worst case you tack on some thin metal strips to the tube.

Maybe weld on small tapered shims onto the same side on both male tubes to press the opposite sides snugly against the receiver tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    What about welding one or two beads on two sides and grinding them down to the snugness you are satisfied with? This should take up the slack in the fit without having set screws to tighten.

great answer!!!
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

The slop is max hundredths of an inch. I would recommend some old feeler gauges as shims that can be used as needed.

The downside of a permanent fix, welding material to the insert is debris and rust making the fit a permanent one.

You can shrink the tube to size with heat and pressure,i.e. rosebud,hammer and an anvil.Use 2" sq.shaft slid inside for sizing if availible or whatever you are using for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Forger View Post
    You can shrink the tube to size with heat and pressure,i.e. rosebud,hammer and an anvil.Use 2" sq.shaft slid inside for sizing if availible or whatever you are using for your post.
    Would it not be advantageous to modify the insert, rather than the receiver? I'd worry that the receiver would be over shrunk.

I would make up the receiver setup with a plate for floor mounting. Drill holes for four 3/8'' drop in anchors with female threads. You could even counter sink the holes so when not in use bolts could be installed to be flush with concrete.

i would use the hard plastic shims from home depot, they sell them for shimming doors, i always have them for leveling work and setting gapes, etc. they are the rite size to fit the tube and then remove as needed.