Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default gun shy with aluminum tig

Hello, I'm new to welding. Actually became my task in work. A little scared with tig aluminum. O&M scared me with warnings. Have stick welded and flux mig ( not a lot) but want to experiment. Is it safe
    Thanks

It is as safe as any other process, unless you have a pace maker or some other med device that prohibits it.
    Find the educational videos on this site. Andy does a great job in them, and you will be much more comfortable after learning from them.

Thanks!!! I will give it a go

Default Safe enough

I only post this because today, well protected, gloves, shop overalls, rubber shoes, DC steel welding I got a small shock when the rod got stuck. These gloves are brand new, less than one 80 lbs tank old. I haven't studied enough to go into anymore detail or try to speculate as why, but it was a shocker. Figuratively, and literally. But I think the shock was only like 40v. Is that sound right? I am really sure I felt it. That won't stop me. Maybe I'll just chalk it up to a learning lesson. Why am I getting my rod stuck? Backing off of the torch? Adding too much, too close to the middle of the puddle instead of the leading edge of the puddle?

The only times I have gotten shocked was when I failed to attach the ground clamp, or when the clamp did not provide an adequate electrical contact to the table or piece.

Perhaps you are not sticking the rod into the puddle to melt it. I suspect the rod is melting when it enters the plasma zone, instead of the puddle. Then, when it touches the piece the "bubble" on the end cools immediately, and sticks.
    Last edited by Goodhand; 05-17-2013 at 12:30 AM.

The HF can give you a "shock" if you're not careful, but even though the voltage of the HF is high, the amperage is microscopic, so it can't really "hurt" you in any kind of dangerous way. (HF can mess with pacemakers, though.)

Nothing to be concerned about. Any welding process can be unsafe. Use common sense & cover up.

Shocks are just part of the territory especially with hf. Not saying it happens all the time but occasionally it will.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24