Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default High frequency box?

Ok so i have welding experience in stick, tig, and mig. I currently have a 110v mig with steel and stainless tanks and spools. I also have a 220v dc/ac stick welder that i have set up to also tig stainless.
    ive been looking around to get an aluminum tig set up so my girlfriends dad gave me a high frequency box to put on my stick unit. I get that i obviously hook the power cable to power cable stud and same for the ground side along with hooking gas up and what not.
    As stated i have experience tig welding aluminum but it has always been on his 220v digital tig welder. So my question comes in the fact of now that i have it hooked up do i just flip my stick box to AC and set the power out put? Is it really that simple? Second, once i have it up and running is it possible to convert it to utilize a pedal control? (I would like this functionality for tig welding aluminum and stainless)
    Third, and last, does it yield the same quality tig welds as an actual tig unit?
    (I understand that it is also based on how well i weld just want to know if the quality of me welding with it will match the quality of me welding with his digital tig unit)

Default it will work

It will work to get the job done. Big draw back is with AC because the Stick welder doesn't have a Square Wave it has the normal sin wave which basically cause a relative along period of no weld time. An other major draw to this type of setup is you can not adjust your balance control. Your power supply is fixed at 50% which in turn causes a lot of heat at the Tungsten and so you will need to watch for tungsten spitting drop. If that does happen increase the size of your tungsten or lower your output. Last, as you know if your power supply doesn't have a remote option then you can't add a foot control. They do make a remote contactor box which will turn the output on and off if that will help. DC tig will almost be the same as a "true" tig welder with the exception of remote control. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sjstech View Post
    It will work to get the job done. Big draw back is with AC because the Stick welder doesn't have a Square Wave it has the normal sin wave which basically cause a relative along period of no weld time. An other major draw to this type of setup is you can not adjust your balance control. Your power supply is fixed at 50% which in turn causes a lot of heat at the Tungsten and so you will need to watch for tungsten spitting drop. If that does happen increase the size of your tungsten or lower your output. Last, as you know if your power supply doesn't have a remote option then you can't add a foot control. They do make a remote contactor box which will turn the output on and off if that will help. DC tig will almost be the same as a "true" tig welder with the exception of remote control. Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Yea i kinda figured that would be the answer on the foot control just thought id ask. As for the ac i knew it wouldn't be a digital sin wave but wasnt sure how it would affect the weld so thanks. That info will probably help save some head scratching. Thanks again for the input. Hope this helps someone else out in the future as well.