Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Calling meltedmetal and Cgotto6

The weather is finally warm and the son dropped off his drill Sunday so I going to do the welding table job this weekend. I have a question on tightening the red heads.... how many turns do you go, they say up to five turns, is that what you guys do?

I haven't seen that brand here but I have used what we call Hilti bolts which I think are similar. I actually never counted the number of turns, I just tightened until they were tight. Not a very useful answer I know. I would think that the accuracy of the hole would affect the number of turns. That is, the sloppier the hole the more turns until it tightens. "Up to ....." isn't very specific for sure. Does the spec sheet give a torque number? Even after they are installed regularly check the washers and nuts to see if there is any play the you need to cinch up and of course keep yourself and everyone else out of the danger zone of anything you are lifting in case they pull out and inspect your concrete for cracking regularly too. I know they work well but I would prefer to see them used in shear rather than in a straight pull but I don't think you can do that in your application.----Meltedmetal

Default Acording to the specs...

"Expand anchor by tightening nut 3-5 turns past the hand tight position, or to the specified torque requirement."

This can be read here
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Till its tight. No brainer really. You can torque the sh*t out of them, with 1/2" redheads ill put at least 60+ lb/ft. I have sunk the nut through a mud sill before on accident using my big impact gun. To answer something melted was saying, these wedge anchor style systems are actually equally strong in pull out as shear most times, no need to worry about that.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.

A big problem. After reading the trubolt info chart doughboyracer posted I think I ordered the wrong bolts.... the chart doesn't show torque for 1/2" trubolts in 4" concrete only 5 or 6...

I called them, they are suppose to call me back... I'll let you know what they have to say.... I may be ordering 3/8 trubolts just to be on the safe side.

I just got back from buying 3/8 SS trubolts from Fastenal, this is the safest way to go, torque them to 25 ft lbs and be done with it.... if the floor should crack at least I can say I did my best.

You are overthinking this, just drill the holes and install the anchors.

Whatever you do, it will outlive you.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Thanks JSFAB, It's just that it's been a perfect floor for over ten years, I would hate to cause it to crack over stupidity and lack of experience drilling concrete..

I get my new camera tomorrow, hopefully anyway, I'll show pictures. Probably start around 4 PM tomorrow.

I like this song a ton, takes me back to when me and my friends would play in the swamps with our BB guns..., I'll play it as I start work for some adrenalin and good luck ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxInn7tkRQ

Tackit, you are waaayyyy over thinking this. You could have used 3/4"x12" anchors and had no problem. These are seriously idiot proof. But, the 3/8" ones you got will work great also.

I use wedge anchors to set ledgers into hallow cmu block, only catching one wall thickness (about 1 1/2") with no problems. Your 10 year old 4" slab will be 100% unaffected with whichever anchors you choose. Just get her done and start enjoying that table and hoist!! Looking forward to seeing some projects coming off it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Tackit, you are waaayyyy over thinking this. You could have used 3/4"x12" anchors and had no problem. These are seriously idiot proof. But, the 3/8" ones you got will work great also.

I use wedge anchors to set ledgers into hallow cmu block, only catching one wall thickness (about 1 1/2") with no problems. Your 10 year old 4" slab will be 100% unaffected with whichever anchors you choose. Just get her done and start enjoying that table and hoist!! Looking forward to seeing some projects coming off it!
    I have to meet the SIL half way between his business and my place tomorrow morning, he bought me a 3/8 SDS plus drill at HD for me tonight. I'll get it done, I just worry to much like y'all say....

I will be building the forge first. Then I'm thinking I gonna build a bentonite water filter out of some 4" sq tube I have on hand.... I'm thinking to hold the bentonite in I can burn a square plate that fits inside the 4" sq and drill a few 3/8 holes in it for air to pass through.. put screen on the bottom of the plate to hold the bentonite in.

I know the reinforced fiber water filters for my well can be had in a number of micron sizes... maybe have a 1" ball valve come off the top of the 4" sq and go into the water filters plastic body and come off that with a glass bowl to keep an eye on things. I can by a 5 micron filter for the water filter so with a few sizes I should be able to zero in a suitable size. I think the water filter's threads will hold 80 psi, or I may have to screw it together.

I just thought of this ... I could have the wife sew up bags of heavy canvas like they make sails out of to hold the bentonite and stuf them in the 4", put em in the oven and dry them out.
    Last edited by tackit; 05-16-2013 at 08:51 PM.