Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What CFM and PSI tdo professional sandblasters use

Could someone that sandblasts industrial steel for a living tell me what size air supply tank,CFM, PSI and tip size you would use to blast a truck rim. Thanks

I don't sandblast myself but I service the equipment for a business that does and he has 375 CFM compressors and one big one ? and the tank looked to be 500 gallon. Nozzle tip was 3/4" or there about. He does industrial equipment and government stuff. Hope that helps.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Default air requirements for blasting

for a 1/4 inch orifice it takes approx 100cfm @100-125 psi and is a very productive set-up. for small jobs a pressure blaster with a 1/8" orifice will work very well with 50 cfm and give you good production (also @100-125 psi)

Thanks guys for your information, it really helps, now I know why my blasting is so pitifully slow, it would take three of mine to get to 50 CFM, it's no wonder why my 5 HP Quincy won't cut the mustard. I go deaf and run out of cuss words listening to my 5 HP Quincy struggling to do a trailer or car rim.

Might try the one I saw them use on outboard motors, it went on a pressure washer and worked with the water, it did a great job on aluminum.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Try a smaller orifice. I have a 80 gallon tank and an IR T-30 with a 7 horse. It drops to about 80 and stays there. You can also likely put a bigger motor on your pump and a new motor pulley to speed it up. Need to look at the manual for your pump and find out what speed it is good for.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Try a smaller orifice. I have a 80 gallon tank and an IR T-30 with a 7 horse. It drops to about 80 and stays there. You can also likely put a bigger motor on your pump and a new motor pulley to speed it up. Need to look at the manual for your pump and find out what speed it is good for.
    Diverdude I have heard both good and bad about pressure washer blasters. Mine puts out 3500 PSI at 4 GPM, if they worked on steel I would buy one but nothing definite causes me to keep my money in my pocket. Thanks for commenting though, I appreciate it.

Walker, my compressor is over twenty years old, I'm afraid to beef it up. This summer I'm going to turn it over and check the bottom for soft spots.

Default hope this could help

a chart found on a blasting site.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Water/sand really cuts especially with sharp material. A 4 gpm unit would be pretty productive.

You should be able to size your orfice/unit to do a rim with your comp. Depending on codition would be waiting for a full recharge about as it was to be flipped to do the other side. Lots more factors than just size. Pitted rust needs fine soft sand, coatings hard and sharp etc. Wrong media = 10 x the work, wrong flow rate another issue. Use to much air at too hi pressure in some cases, regulate.

Sandblasting a trailer takes a quite a bit of air, mechanical clean before blast helps.
    Last edited by Sberry; 05-18-2013 at 07:08 AM.