Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default What CFM and PSI tdo professional sandblasters use

Could someone that sandblasts industrial steel for a living tell me what size air supply tank,CFM, PSI and tip size you would use to blast a truck rim. Thanks

I don't sandblast myself but I service the equipment for a business that does and he has 375 CFM compressors and one big one ? and the tank looked to be 500 gallon. Nozzle tip was 3/4" or there about. He does industrial equipment and government stuff. Hope that helps.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Default air requirements for blasting

for a 1/4 inch orifice it takes approx 100cfm @100-125 psi and is a very productive set-up. for small jobs a pressure blaster with a 1/8" orifice will work very well with 50 cfm and give you good production (also @100-125 psi)

Thanks guys for your information, it really helps, now I know why my blasting is so pitifully slow, it would take three of mine to get to 50 CFM, it's no wonder why my 5 HP Quincy won't cut the mustard. I go deaf and run out of cuss words listening to my 5 HP Quincy struggling to do a trailer or car rim.

Might try the one I saw them use on outboard motors, it went on a pressure washer and worked with the water, it did a great job on aluminum.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Try a smaller orifice. I have a 80 gallon tank and an IR T-30 with a 7 horse. It drops to about 80 and stays there. You can also likely put a bigger motor on your pump and a new motor pulley to speed it up. Need to look at the manual for your pump and find out what speed it is good for.