Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Passport Plus replaced by Multimatic 200?

Looked at a new Miller catalog the other day. Can't find the Passport Plus anymore, and that was a machine I have pondered getting as being a lot lighter than my MM175, which is getting a little heavy for an old man to lug up ladders and stairs. The Passport Plus seems to have been superceded by the multi-process Multimatic 200. Why? The welding supply store fella (they carry Miller and other brands) mumbled a speculation that maybe a better welder was replacing one that was frequently in need of repair. True?

Has the Multimatic 200 been out long enough that anyone here will venture opinions on it? How does it compare with the lightweight multi-process inverter welders from other companies? Any preferences here?

A lightweight multiprocess machine could be real handy, but are we getting too mechanically/electronically complex for good reliability?

Do a search. Your questions have been answered in a few other threads. Generally seems like people really like the multimatics though, for mig especially.

I've got a Multimatic 200, it's my second welder and will be my last.Can't say enough good things about it.I don't carry it around so the 29 lbs isn't an issue and wouldn't be if I did.The only downside I've found is I can't TIG aluminum, I've got the spool gun but haven't tried it yet so the jury's still out on that.
    Multimatic 200 w/ Tig kit & Spoolgun
    Victor Torch
    Accumulating as I go

Either I'm reading the fact sheet wrong on the Hobart trek or it seems kind of useless to me. In the frequently asked questions, "How long can I weld on a fully charged battery?" Answer, "The length of time depends on a number of conditions. When welding 1/4" material the weld time will be approximately 2 minutes and on 1/8" material about 4 minutes."
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thats useless

Default Passport Plus replaced by Multimatic 200

We no longer manufacture the Millermatic Passport Plus. It was great for someone looking for a lightweight and portable MIG machine and it was reliable and held up very well in the field. However, it didnít make much sense to continue making the Passport Plus once the Multimatic came out. The new machine does everything the Passport did and comes standard with the Auto-Set Elite feature and allows you to MIG, TIG and Stick weld with one piece of equipment for nearly the same price.

Let us know if you have any questions.

I did search first, cgotto6, I generally do. But I seem to have trouble finding terms or word-order that the search feature wants to work with, sometimes.

Okay, moderator, first question might be, why is "Hammer65" having trouble TIG-welding aluminum with his machine? That would be a deal-killer, if it's a typical experience.

Because its dc tig only no ac

Quote Originally Posted by old jupiter View Post
    I did search first, cgotto6, I generally do. But I seem to have trouble finding terms or word-order that the search feature wants to work with, sometimes.

Okay, moderator, first question might be, why is "Hammer65" having trouble TIG-welding aluminum with his machine? That would be a deal-killer, if it's a typical experience.
    I just did a search for "multimatic" and found 5 threads with all the info I have ever heard about the multimatic 200, within the first 15 reasults. One of them has over 150 replies....

Sounds like you should do some reading on millers resources page because you could learn some of the basics, like how dc only tig power sources can not weld aluminum.