Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems with the TB325's

Getting alot of 325's in. Now these run great in the winter. so so much in the summer. I beleve this is because of the engine getting freaking hot due to it's placement in the chassis, Engines need cold dense air to work properly. This engine is drawing air from the front, but first has to cool the rectifier, and stabilizer before it enters the flywheel cooling fan which then pushes air into the air cleaner assembly. After an hour of run time, this air is super hot. Components its trying to cool are hot. Engine is not efficient, and surges

In the winter , the air is dense, parts are easily cooled. Machine performs fine.

Trying to figure a way to pull cool air in as apposed to hot air.

Unit is an intersting but poor design

Perhaps Miller can chime in

The scenario youre describing sounds exactly like one that would (should!) have been tested during development. Ill be interested to see what Miller has to say. I asked some weeks ago about TB325 reliability and got a single problem report. Guess theyre too new to have much data.

Default Problems with the TB325's

Interested to see what the say.

Maybe they need bigger oil pumps, deeper oil pans with oil coolers, bigger fans with bigger air inlets and outlets.

Cruizer,
    This appears to be something that may be covered in our Service Memo 1227. Please contact the Power Products Service Group at 920 954 3972 to follow up.

Nope, but a possiblilty with surging, besides the unit works fine with dense cool air. Obvously this is an issue. The models (Like the 302EFI) with the hot air kit comming off the exhaust also ran into this problem, though were not as bad since the flywheel fan drove cool outside air across the engine fins. This new model simply can't do this and its still super heated air going into the intake and across the fins. When I see the optional hot air kit, I remove and trash it, pure junk

After stripping a couple of these to the ground, this engine placement and inadequate cooling of components is the culprit.
    Last edited by cruizer; 05-15-2013 at 03:40 PM.

An oil cooler might work, pretty tight in there though. 5-50 synth is a better oil for it.

Would it help to drop some of the doors.

Well, no cause the front the the engine (flywheel opening) is sealed. This is so the inrush of air from the flywheel fins draws air from the front to cool the stabilizer, boards and other stuff. If anything, I've found is to remove the aircleaner plastic cover and leave the top door open. Also remove the foam dust element for a freer flow. However the rear flywheel vents to the air cleaner have to be blocked then for better cooling of the fins.

Opening of the side doors wouldn't do anything.

I've experimented quite a bit on my own dime

Really the best bet would be to install some sort of hood scoop, block the exsisting intake air vents from the flywheel, and have the engine suck in cool air from that top cover. You'd gain more pressure to cool the engine, & components plus it would be way more effiecient

Kinda like the ram air system on the older dodges, where you had a rubber boot around the air cleaner and sealing it when you shut the hood for cold dense air
    Last edited by cruizer; 05-15-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks cruizer I've got a bobcat 225 its closed up like that I've been wondering if it would get hot. But I don't use it like these guys use there's .