Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling USMCPOP

Default Calling USMCPOP

The coal forge is worth mastering and still has many benefits. But for simplicity quickness and by far cleaner, buy or build a propane forge and start making.
    Propane is quick & clean cheap, can use in shop. It's a good starter and truthfully I haven't used coal in quite awhile, used my propane this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    The coal forge is worth mastering and still has many benefits. But for simplicity quickness and by far cleaner, buy or build a propane forge and start making.
    Propane is quick & clean cheap, can use in shop. It's a good starter and truthfully I haven't used coal in quite awhile, used my propane this morning.
    gnforge I figure I need to see if I have the skill before I invest in something more expensive. I want to come at it slow so I don't burn out over mistakes and disappointments... Allot of reading and trial and air and watching videos I think will be best for me. If and when I feel worthy I would buy a gas forge and get to work. Thanks for comment, I appreciate your input. :-)

A washtub type of forge is easy to make.

http://www.timlively.com/arrowheadwtf.htm

The article says Bentonite can be used instead of earthen clay for making the adobe .

Interesting fact about Bentonite: It can also be used as a desiccant due to its adsorption properties. Bentonite desiccants have been successfully used to protect pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and diagnostic products from moisture degradation and extend shelf life. In fact, in the most common package environments, Bentonite Desiccants offer a higher adsorption capacity than silica gel desiccants. Bentonite complies with the FDA for contact with food and drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

http://www.bentonite.com/Default.asp...3a%3aJVKK8FESH
    Last edited by tackit; 05-16-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Just got off the phone with www.bentonite.com, they said cat litter and I suppose any bentonite product that has a perfume in it will not work. The perfume retards bentonites' moisture absorbing properties.

The man I spoke to said he put's bentonite in a card board box and puts it in his gun safe. I'm thinking you could put some in a nylon stocking and stuff it in a 3" pipe to make a homemade air drier for the compressor out of it.

Unfortunately they only sell it by the truck load.... I have to google a chemical firm that sells their National Premium WT to build the forge and have gun protection....

Default Calling USMCPOP

Didn't know that, that's good to know. The Co. I rebuild reamers for buy it by tractor trailer load to use in underground directional boring. May be good to put in with wire or rods to keep moisture off ? For me cheap also. :-)
    Thx for info. Great lo learn from each other.

It's amazing how one thing leads to another. I just google up this business in Indiana, they say they sell the product but I haven't called them yet to verify it.

http://www.knappsupply.com/

The guy that knows about the product won't be back until Monday.
    Last edited by tackit; 05-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Default Calling USMCPOP

Ill look next time up there. They get it in 50 or 80 lb. paper sacks. I thought it was just plain bentonite but ill need to check it out. If so could ups u a bag or part of a bag.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    Ill look next time up there. They get it in 50 or 80 lb. paper sacks. I thought it was just plain bentonite but ill need to check it out. If so could ups u a bag or part of a bag.
    Greg
    Thanks Greg, that's really swell of you, I appreciate your wanting to help. I'll give the business a try first since they are only a few miles from me.

I think the Bentonite is used in ponds to reduce leakage.

I have read that the really cheap, Special Kitty plain cat litter at Wal Mart is Bentonite. You want the kind that softens when wet.

http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1.../questions.htm