Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You can disconnect if you like and feel better about it. It really isn't necessary, though. Pipe rigs weld on the back of the deck all the time and never have troubles. The electronics are on the front and the weld action is on the back. As long as the ground is connected to the work in the back and not on, say , the front bumper, the chances of current affecting the electronics is virtually nil. DC likes straight lines and short runs. That makes it easy.

FWIW, when they built my dump truck, about 75% of it was welded on the truck. The CAT computer never suffered and is still running strong. They did the same thing when they welded on the hitch plate. That was 3/4" plate welded single pass with a huge wire and high amps. If that didn't kill it, nothing would.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Where I work, we work on Aerial devices [bucket trucks and digger derricks] We always un-hook the batteries before welding. That is, welding on the truck with the problem,not our service trucks. Our trucks all have circuit boards that control stop/start, throttle, pto etc. Not to mention the Catipillar ECM and the Allison ECM. To be on the safe side with welding on the bed of your truck make sure you have a GOOD ground. On our service trucks We weld in the vise and just put the ground on the vise. As far as welding on someone elses truck, unhook the batteries. We just replaced a CAT ECM that cost $1200.00 [not welding related] That would eat up your profit big time. Some trucks like fire trucks have as many as 6 ECMs. For lights and all. Nice hitch welding table though
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

For those of you that are interested i'm building a table on the back of my utility truck body and i've takin lots of pictures for everyone to see and get some ideals.
    since i'm new to the forum don't bash the **** out of me! if I can be of any help feel free to e-mail me. Steve. PS. if anyone knows how to attach pictures please help me.
    Last edited by Extreme Steel; 11-02-2006 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Steel View Post
    For those of you that are interested i'm building a table on the back of my utility truck body and i've takin lots of pictures for everyone to see and get some ideals.
    since i'm new to the forum don't bash the **** out of me! if I can be of any help feel free to e-mail me. Steve
    PLEASE start a thread and post these pics!! I need something very similar as soon as I get a round tuit.

I cannot figure this picture thing out? I can e-mail someone these pictures so they can be posted. I'm gonna go have a Margarita Holy tequila I got it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Extreme Steel; 11-03-2006 at 12:09 AM.

spider Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MD Welding View Post
    Here is a pic. It's not installed but you can see how it looks and works. I never did get to paint it up yet.

Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    look'good ----for tail gate party's at games . nicely done spider

Default Welding table

Here's a couple more pictures of the welding table. bolted is some diamond plate and is ready for some paint after the caps are welded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default looks good!

You made it look good. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!