Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving big pipe without a forklift

Looking for ideas. I've been building a few backyard bbq pits and I'd like to build a trailer pit or two but don't have a fork lift to move around big pipe. Talking 30" pipe, 1/4", 10' long. Any ideas? I was thinking gantry but anyone have other ideas?

I have some heavy duty skates from when I used to move bank equipment for a living so once I get it off the trailer I can move it around and jack it up, etc. I'm mostly worried about getting it off the trailer when I get it home.

Can you roll it over the side of the trailer onto a few old tires to break its fall? Or chain it to a tree and drive the trailer out from under it? Stick a roller under it and roll it off the back of the trailer? Throw a few old tires under it when it is close to dropping in the last two and be sure to make arrangements so it doesn't roll away out of control after it falls or build a skid under it and roll that off the trailer on ramps.----Meltedmetal

I just move a 10' piece of 22 1/2" XX HEAVY WALL. What i did was bought. 4 lengths of 1/2" dowelrod 4' long. I cut it all in half giving me 8- 2' pieces. When I go the Yard to pick it up I just laid them out on the trailer and they served as rollers. Of course I blocked it as well to keep it on the trailer so I could strap it down. When I got home I just got it where I needed it and could move it and pushed it off the truck onto a coupke tires like Meltedmetal said. Worked great.

Default Moving big pipe without a forklift

Build a grasshopper!

I made a little cart a while back to move around large beams, you could probably do something similar. Just center the pipe lengthwise so it balances like a teeter totter, ratchet strap it to it and wheel it around. We used the tractor for a couple but mostly use it by hand. Works surprisingly good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-14-2013 at 02:01 PM.

With the tractor on one end...

Edit: picture wont load sorry.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-14-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Buy a engine host. Got a tree and a chain fall or come a long ??

Cool

I would love to have a 6' pc of that sized pipe for a gun safe. My last one was 20"...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I use ball transfers. The only bay at work with out a overhead crane is mine. I roll out 8" spools that are 80' long by myself.
    I just drilled a few holes in my vee tops and bolt them on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Consider building yourself an "A" frame and use a chain hoist. It will come in handy for future projects and lifting applications so build it stronger than it needs to be for the current project. I built 2 for myself, and made them so they can be disassembled and moved to where needed. They are each 10' long, 10' between the legs, and the bottom of the "I" beam is 10' off the ground. I started to make one, with 12' as the dimensions, until I started thinking about what to do with the other 8' of what I cut out of 20' pieces. That's when I decided to split the difference and build two on 10' dimensions as described. They have come in handy many times since I built them. I have used them together and also I transported one over 100 miles away and used it there to load/unload, as well as the one at home for the same reason.
    With this set up I can change the blades on my lawn mower while standing straight up if I want to, no laying down.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 05-15-2013 at 10:22 AM.