Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding AISI 4320 or 3310/3311

This is my first post here, so please take it easy.
    I was wondering if anyone here has any real world experience with welding 3310 or 4320. I have a project I am working on where I will need to weld some alloy steel forged rings to a A106 pipe.
    The material will either be 3310 or 4320. The steel will be quenched and tempered at 900 deg F to bring up the toughness but still retain the yield/tensile that the engineers want.

My question is: can we weld these steels with a preheat around 300F and a max interpass of around 500F? After welding the parts will be blanket cooled (or could be left to air cool). We can not perform a true PWHT due to limited resources.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this!

A little more information:
    The parts to be welded are forged rings, 24" OD x 1.50" Thick. The weld profile is a 50 deg included angle single V groove. Welds will be x-rayed at completion.

most of us guys here are welders, not engineers, i have welded many different types of steels together, that had to be heat treated, stress relieved, all of this info for welding was on the work order given for each job, had to followed to a t, some one here may know this, how about the customer, has he done his home work

You really need to get a written weld procedure.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

i should of got to the point a little better, please dont take me wrong, you are asking how to weld an alloy steel, you dont know the proper procedures, neither do i, if you get faulty info on the net and weld it incorrectly and it fails, its your butt to hang, if you had a weld spec for that job, that info would be laid out for you, just be careful with the liability end of this