Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Millermatic 212 possessed

I bought a Millermatic 212 a few months ago for my garage. It gets used for projects but not everyday. It is stored inside a climate controlled area with my other tools

The wire feed keeps doing crazy things. I was using the Auto speed feature but when my son was welding it kept freaking out, stopping and clicking until you turned it off. Now on the manual speed setting I will stop welding and it will just keep spooling out wire. It does this regularly but not always. One time it just spewed out gas and no wire till I turned it off and one time it quit doing anything at all until I turned off the machine. I checked the connections where the gun is plugged into the machine and they seem ok.

What the heck is going on with this thing? I bought this thing to replace my old Century 250 machine and it has not been pleasant so far....

3 year warranty.....have it checked out.

Default Thank you for the illustration

This wonderful illustration is just what I needed to remind me, as a hobbyist, why I went straight to Tig and never got involved in MIG

Quote Originally Posted by mlahonta View Post
    This wonderful illustration is just what I needed to remind me, as a hobbyist, why I went straight to Tig and never got involved in MIG
    LOL. That is funny because I wanted to buy a tig machine but popped for the Mig. I find TIG easier although I have not done much of it. Of course it is easier on the bench but would be a pita in a car.

Here it is on video..

Last edited by fordsbyjay; 05-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlahonta View Post
    What does this even mean? This is the first time I have ever heard of any issue what so ever with a 212. Are you suggesting migs are unreliable or something?

Cool

One of the trigger wires has shorted thru the tape that is wrapped around the guns neck. I see it all the time with MM252's. Turn the guns neck collar and slide the plastic handle down onto the cable and the trigger will be exposed now. Have a look at the tape. I just use a new slice of tape and put it back together...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    One of the trigger wires has shorted thru the tape that is wrapped around the guns neck. I see it all the time with MM252's. Turn the guns neck collar and slide the plastic handle down onto the cable and the trigger will be exposed now. Have a look at the tape. I just use a new slice of tape and put it back together...Bob
    I unplugged the wire connection at the mig and it kept on doing it so I think it is something internal. I will definitely check it out first thing. Thanks.

Default don't open anything

It is under warranty! Let the service center play with it. Sounds like a relay is stuck. Maybe even a board problem. We have a 212 at work that has had feed problems since new. One of the drive rolls was cut too deep. With the tension maxed out I could still pull wire through it by hand. Turned down the wire run in setting also. Now 1 guy at work likes the machine. The rest of use will take the beat up, grinding-dust encrusted Lincoln 215's.
    Ornamental fabrication shop worker
    at home...
    2011 Hobart Handler 210MVP
    2013 spoolrunner 100 spool gun

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Agree with Bob on this one as our 252 has done the same thing. Easy fix though
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter