Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Opinions re TIG Gloves

Hi,I've searched this topic and found some pretty useful information. Some of it is a few years old, though. I thought I should make sure current gloves are considered, too.I'm the proud owner of a new Diversion 180. Before taking some actual lessons, I thought I would follow the instructor's advice and get comfortable feeding filler rod with my non-torch hand. (That's covered in a different thread.)My question here concerns opinions on the best TIG glove for a novice. I think it would be best to have the most comfortable, best-fitting glove for feeding the filler... at least until I get comfortable with feed rate and hand-eye coordination.I have been happy with Tillman MIG gloves. I have read about Miller, Tillman and Black Stallion for TIG. Out of all of these, which would you guys recommend for good fingertip feel and control of the filler rod?Thanks for any help you can provide.Jeff

I have used Tillman exclusively for the past ten years, but I just got a couple pair of Longevity Tig/Plasma gloves. These are the thinnest I have found, and should be good for Tig, especially for feeding rod with your left hand. They are on eBay for $11.99 plus $5 shipping.

A lot of people comment on snug gloves that fit like a second skin. I have small hands and yet I prefer large loose gloves. The only decision is the wall thickness of the project....get away with thin gloves on light material but beefier ones for higher heats and more passes.

I was recently counseled not to use a glove on the feed hand as it is safely out of the heat. Testing that today I'm not sure but I've been running beads all morning with only mild discomfort. I'll continue the excercise but the focus is to produce consistent beads. The glove was one more distraction....
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Leblond 15x 35 Regal Servoshift lathe
    Solberga SE 1425 Drill Press
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander
    Tons of grinders and hand tools
    Knife edge Balancing rollers
    Heat and AC in the garage

Jags and racing Triumphs

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by GT6Steve View Post
    I was recently counseled not to use a glove on the feed hand as it is safely out of the heat. Testing that today I'm not sure but I've been running beads all morning with only mild discomfort. I'll continue the excercise but the focus is to produce consistent beads. The glove was one more distraction....
    I thought I had heard mention of no glove on the feed hand by others. It will sure make it easier to focus... fewer distractions.

Thanks

Jeff

I've posted this before but I'll do it again. Gloves are not just to protect from the heat but also from the uv rays. Would you weld with a pair of dark glasses no helmet? Weld in a t-shirt? Why not? Because you want to protect your skin. Your hands are no different than any other part of your body when it comes to uv.

My old boss never wore gloves when tigging. When he was 60 his hands looked like he had been burned at one time.

I use tighter fitting gloves but on my left hand which I hold the rod I clip off the finger tips.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Gotta support that train of thought! PPE is everything! I tend to discount cuz my hands are thick calloused and horny from decades of abuse Maybe if I'd paid more attention to PPE in the early days those young girls wouldn't find me so repulsive now?? Yeah, the hands are the only issue...
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Leblond 15x 35 Regal Servoshift lathe
    Solberga SE 1425 Drill Press
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander
    Tons of grinders and hand tools
    Knife edge Balancing rollers
    Heat and AC in the garage

Jags and racing Triumphs

Sunburn from welding is no fun at all. Happens much sooner than you would think too. Did a bunch of just tacking a few years ago in a t shirt...not gonna do that again.

I use Ironclad....rated for 600 degrees, the back is made of Kevlar and the palm is silicone, I've picked up and held metal that I just welded that others can't hold with the big meaty gloves, they fit tight which I like and feeding filler is like not wearing gloves...they aren't cheap but well worth the money..check out amazon, I think I paid $46.00 for the HW6X...I use'um for MIg Tig and Stick
    Multimatic 200 w/ Tig kit & Spoolgun
    Victor Torch
    Accumulating as I go

I use the cheapest ones I can find that are comfortable and give me decent control of the filler rod. I just go to the local welding shop and try on everything they have.....you never know when something other than what you are currently using will be better.... For me, cheap is best because I seem to NOT be able to train myself to NOT get the ****ed things dirty or burned or whatever to screw them up. I go through a pair of TIG gloves about every 3 or 4 weeks and just have to bite the bullet and replace them. I DO WANT to have protection from the UV and also from my tendency to stick my fingers on hot stuff....including picking up the filler rod at the wrong end which seems to be pretty common for me when I stop welding to reposition something or whatever and then take right back up welding. I guess that means I am just a slow learner...BUT I have learned that I'd rather sizzle some other poor creature's hide than my own!!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.