Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default difference between pillar drill and mag drill

Is there a difference? Can you use normal drill bits on a mag drill?

Cool

Yes you can. There should be an adaptor for a number 3 MT and a drill chuck...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Which would you recommend? I need it mainly for drilling 25/26mm holes.

Add Content
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have used mag drills with regular chucks that don't take a morse taper bit, and also a hougen with the rotabroach type bits. I personally love the hougen drill, very lightweight and clean holes. Costly to buy upfront though

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by k3500crane View Post
    I have used mag drills with regular chucks that don't take a morse taper bit, and also a hougen with the rotabroach type bits. I personally love the hougen drill, very lightweight and clean holes. Costly to buy upfront though
    I 2nd the Hougen drill for what you are doing...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

That's great, thanks very much.

I've had good luck with my CSunitec mag drill and cutters, I would buy them again. http://www.csunitec.com/portable-magnetic-drills/