Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mobile welding and low H rods

Im drawing a blank on this but the answer has to be simple...for mobile welders how do you keep your supply of low H rods hot? Yes, I know w/ a rod oven but how is it powered in the field?

ETA: In fact do you keep your low H wire hot between jobs/overnight? This would serve 2 purposes...maintaining the low H characteristics and preventing rust.
    Last edited by HayFarmer; 05-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Since I am not doing code work they lay in the box until used. No rod oven. FYI unless you buy the hermetically sealed containers they are already exposed. The cardboard or plastic container does not seal. I would imagine for what your using them for no rod oven needed.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Cool

No oven for me either. I like how they weld and always make it my first choice...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Simple answer would be a small rod oven I've seen guys with them the smallest one I've seen is slightly bigger than a 50lbs rod can so I assume it can hold the whole 50lbs. Where ever they park there rig is probably where the plug the oven in when they are not on a job and during a job just plug it into whatever power source they have

I use a Lincoln 10# oven. Plugs into my welder, it doesn't pull many amps. I also keep the rest of the 50# can in sealed rod tubes

if you are on a larger job, there is quite often a 50 or 100lb oven that is left on all the time and you transfer rod to your smaller 10lb oven as you need.

If I need to weld something that critical then I will buy them for that job usually in smaller containers. So it's not one big thing that's been "opened". That said, I have leftover junk rod all over my garage bought in garage sales, past jobs etc... I don't know off the top of my head but there is "allegedly" a way to recondition LH rod in your home oven if its not in too bad shape (ruined flux, rusted etc....). I'm no expert though.

I keep mine in these rod holder and have not had any problems. If moisture was was super critical I would think you would have to get the moisture out of the steel you're welding on too. http://www.rodguard.net/

There is no moisture in the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    There is no moisture in the steel.
    Then why does steel rust?

If I'm short circuit welding on something and it's a cold and dank day I take my torch and warm it up, you can see the waves of moisture leaving the steel.