Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Reliable electronics

I don't see why electronics of any kind should just fail in 8 to 10 years. If you looked around your house, you would probably find some electronics which has been there a long time. My favorite AM-FM radio is roughly 30 years old.

The bathtub curve is the usual way of looking at electronics failures, which suggests that many failures are in the first few months, then it drops off to a low flat rate, then gradually starts to increase later. The graph below suggests that failures increase around 25 years. Moreover, welders are generally not powered on, which should extend their life, versus something plugged in 24/7.

http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/c...res/d20881.gif

I have a Thermal Arc inverter welder which is probably 20 years old, it works. I was visiting a shop last night with a PowCon AC/DC, still in use, I would guess 20 years.

Richard
    Last edited by raferguson; 05-11-2013 at 10:49 AM.

I understand the bath tubb curve but, I'm not sure Inverter machines have been around long enough for us to see the other end of the curve.

I had a Lincoln Invertec V160T performed like it was new for 10 years of light use. I wouldn't have sold it except I need a machine that can do AC.

Transformer Machines last forever because they have such simple components.

I always hear of people "hearing from somebody" about the longevity of inverters but no actual real world instances where a properly, not over used inverter took a dump pre maturely. Seems like one of those Internet rumors to me. Granted I have no real world experience, but I do know three friends who have had their inverter tigs for over ten years with no hiccups.

Short of welding with batteries or DC generators welding equipment that welds DC has to use some kind of rectification. In modern eqipment that is all done with solid state state devices. There is no reason to suppose that properly designed, installed and used diodes are any more resilient than scr's or igbt's again properly designed, installed and used. I think some of the stories may come from early designs or misuse. Often made all the worse because it can still look perfect after it is burned out and costs a lot to repair. It doesn't happen often without abuse, or accidental damage but have you priced a replacement transformer for your welder?---Meltedmetal

I will admit I still don't really trust modern solid state devices but you can probably blame that more on how many birthdays I've celebrated than on real world experience with device failure.--Mm

How much did a 200DX cost in '04? That's another way of looking at it.

I bought a Syn 180 SD and I'm sure it will last for years. I was looking to upgrade to an inverter, and was considering a 200DX for home use, but ended up getting an Everlast EX250 for $2000 Cdn with a cooler, although I replaced the crappy pedal with a used Miller pedal from ebay after a pot swap with and went with a Weldcraft WP 20, 25' torch. I do mostly aluminum and the Everlast outperforms the 180SD as typical of most inverts and the cooler allows me to go longer, but I'm still holding onto the 180SD (it's long paid for itself) for now and transformers are reliable as ****.

I'm an electrical Eng, so if the Everlast every fails past warranty, I will attempt repair myself. The IGBT's in it are cheap. I expect the HF points will be the first thing to go on this unit. I'm working for a place that has some decent bonus plan ,so I may be tempted to trade up to the Dynasty 280 DX in the near future...