Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Used Dynastys; How old is TOO OLD?

There is a used dynasty 200 dx for sale in my area. Asking $2000.

The serial # determines it to be an 04.
    Miller Tech support says it has a clean history.
    The owner claims it has low hours with a moonlight operation.

How long do these machines typically last?
    What goes out?
    Are there any things that Miller changed over the years?

Blue lightning came out in ~08. I've heard its nice but nothing to write home about.

I have experience with a new D350 and really like the ability to play with wave frequency on aluminum.

Thanks for the help!

I would say that machine is on borrowed time. the reason I say that is because it has low hours. I've been told these inverter machines need to be used or one day you'll flip the switch and POP, HISS.....$$$$$$

get a diversion, I'm so freakin happy with mine
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

I didnt consider the Diversion cause it doesent cant stick weld.
    I suppose I could fall back on my generator/welder for stick. But its so Noisy.
    Has anyone retrofitted it with Dinse Connectors?
    Last edited by coronan; 05-10-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benny365 View Post
    I would say that machine is on borrowed time. the reason I say that is because it has low hours. I've been told these inverter machines need to be used or one day you'll flip the switch and POP, HISS.....$$$$$$

get a diversion, I'm so freakin happy with mine
    We have the FIRST generator Miller 304's. Used about two to three days a week. NO ISSUES.
    Also have a bunch of CST 280,the Maxstar 200's , and the 150's. Never had any issues. The 150's are special use machines and don't have too many hours. NO POP YET. I never heard of the ''POP''. Maybe CRUIZER will commeton the ''POP"
    If you need a light weight and portable machine a inverter is the way to go.
    If you need a machine for in the shop the Miller 200 syncro would work.

Do 200dx's have arc Time and arc start counters? Could be useful info

What i am reading from the forum is that Dynastys have A board and or capacitor that goes bad and costs about $1000 to fix.

But there are only 2 cases on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Do 200dx's have arc Time and arc start counters? Could be useful info
    Yes (may depend on vintage.) From the manual of a fairly recent version:

3 Arc Timer Display
    Upon power up as described above, the meter S LED will turn on, and arc time will
    be displayed for 5 seconds as [000 000] to [999 999]. The first four numbers indicate
    hours, and the last two numbers indicate minutes. Arc time shown in example is read
    as 1,234 hours and 56 minutes. Maximum arc time is 9,999 hours and 59 minutes.

4 Arc Counter
    After 5 seconds, the meter A LED turns on, and the arc counter will be displayed for the
    next 5 seconds as [000 000 ] to [999 999 ]. The maximum arc cycle count is 999 999.

i've been told the inverters will last about 8-10 years then there deader then a door nail and you buy another one, this is why i bought the syncrowave they last longer. Don't get me wrong the dynasty welds great but I don't want to replace it after 8-10 years though.

Default ????

Quote Originally Posted by chris2626 View Post
    i've been told the inverters will last about 8-10 years then there deader then a door nail and you buy another one, this is why i bought the syncrowave they last longer. Don't get me wrong the dynasty welds great but I don't want to replace it after 8-10 years though.
    I also keep hearing this, however, I have yet to hear a reasonable explaination for the alleged phenomena. Yes electrolytic caps will dry out and fail causing possible catastrophic board failures but almost every modern welder has electrolytics in it somewhere. I don't see why an inverter, particularly a fairly modern one(when one should be reasonably able to assume that the manufacturer has worked out the bugs of operating a machine in the welding environment) should fail like clockwork in 8-10 years and at the same time assume that a transformer machine will not likely suffer the same fate. I think that proper storage and regular exercise are probably a good idea but I don't think that regular must necessarily mean daily. Granted to know that a machine is going to fail in 10 years, it has to be 10 years old which means that the technology is also 10 years old and woud not benefit from the latest product improvements but still I want someone to enlighten me with the facts if they can.--Meltedmetal

P.S.- I am aware that inverter technology has evolved from scr's to igbt's but even at least some scr technology is still functioning reliably long after 10 years.-Mm

Default Reliable electronics

I don't see why electronics of any kind should just fail in 8 to 10 years. If you looked around your house, you would probably find some electronics which has been there a long time. My favorite AM-FM radio is roughly 30 years old.

The bathtub curve is the usual way of looking at electronics failures, which suggests that many failures are in the first few months, then it drops off to a low flat rate, then gradually starts to increase later. The graph below suggests that failures increase around 25 years. Moreover, welders are generally not powered on, which should extend their life, versus something plugged in 24/7.

http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/c...res/d20881.gif

I have a Thermal Arc inverter welder which is probably 20 years old, it works. I was visiting a shop last night with a PowCon AC/DC, still in use, I would guess 20 years.

Richard
    Last edited by raferguson; 05-11-2013 at 09:49 AM.