Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diesel vs gas

Default syntheic oil, everyone please stop comparing the 7.3, 5.9, to the new diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I've got over 200,000 miles on both of my 7.3 Ford Diesels and have never had any major work.

I did have to replace injectors due to a ton of water in the fuel about 10 years ago, The damaged happened within a couple hours from filling up so my insurance company went after the station and covered the repair.

All I can say is that I hope my new truck ( Whenever I get one ) Treats me as good as the 97 F-350 and my 99 F-550.

Tryagn5, I have never done a oil sample or used synthetic oil.
    I change my oil every 5,000 miles and use oil that meet all the SJ ratings.

The main reasons that engines fail are : That you didd'nt change your oil when your suppose to or you have a leak and you let the oil get to low.
    Just from that post i can see you have not owned an egr motor, or a dpf engine. Most engines now do not fail for lack of oil. They fail because of egr failure, injector failure burning pistons, fuel containation in the oil washing out the bearing, or hard part failure. Saying i change my oil on time will make it last forever simply does not hold true.
    People are missing my entire point, you can not compare the 5.9 cummins, or 7.3 to the newer engines, the new diesels are a completely different animal. Of course a 7.3 or 5.9 blows a gas away, thus the reason i own 2 7.3's.
    The entire reason for oil sampling is to montior the amount of fuel going into the oil, as when the truck goes into regen, fuel ends up in the oil, to much, or a failing injector tells the sign it needs to be addressed. Take the 6.4 ford, very few fail because of oil, rather they fail from injectors which burn the pistons, or oil which is broken down causing rods bearings to spin.
    Also the oil requirements have changed for the motors, most require 5w40, something which resists breakdown, also fuel filtration must be perfect, thus the cost of fuel filters, and the fequency of replacement.
    Im going to take flack for this but the cost of the new diesel can not be understood until someone has owned one and repaired one. I just changed out one injector and 2 rocker arms on a 6.4 f350, total bill was $2500. Ford wanted close to 3100, and the truck for nearly a week. Injector was just shy of $550. Truck is on motor 3, gets about 13mpg, and just broke 140k. Now tell me how diesel is cheaper than gas.
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

I agree with tryagn. The new diesels, because of emissions have become so hi-tech that the durability has dropped, and the cost or repairs/maintnance has risen quite high. Meanwhile in that same time gassers have come a long wayand in my opinion have nearly caught diesels in power and mileage.Then factor in the cost of engines and fuel(here in western Canada) and it is real hard to justify buying a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    Just from that post i can see you have not owned an egr motor, or a dpf engine. Most engines now do not fail for lack of oil. They fail because of egr failure, injector failure burning pistons, fuel containation in the oil washing out the bearing, or hard part failure. Saying i change my oil on time will make it last forever simply does not hold true.
    People are missing my entire point, you can not compare the 5.9 cummins, or 7.3 to the newer engines, the new diesels are a completely different animal. Of course a 7.3 or 5.9 blows a gas away, thus the reason i own 2 7.3's.
    The entire reason for oil sampling is to montior the amount of fuel going into the oil, as when the truck goes into regen, fuel ends up in the oil, to much, or a failing injector tells the sign it needs to be addressed. Take the 6.4 ford, very few fail because of oil, rather they fail from injectors which burn the pistons, or oil which is broken down causing rods bearings to spin.
    Also the oil requirements have changed for the motors, most require 5w40, something which resists breakdown, also fuel filtration must be perfect, thus the cost of fuel filters, and the fequency of replacement.
    Im going to take flack for this but the cost of the new diesel can not be understood until someone has owned one and repaired one. I just changed out one injector and 2 rocker arms on a 6.4 f350, total bill was $2500. Ford wanted close to 3100, and the truck for nearly a week. Injector was just shy of $550. Truck is on motor 3, gets about 13mpg, and just broke 140k. Now tell me how diesel is cheaper than gas.
    Agree with you .You can't compare the new with the old ones.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Default new diesel vs. old

Interesting.... didn't read those rules saying " you can't compare the old 5.9's or the 7.3's to the new diesels". Well I currently own both and find it amuseing when an argument is lost all the sudden it is important to change the language.

Tryagn 5, Your right about the fact that I dont have new diesels and I did elude to the fact that I hope the new trucks will be as good as my old ones.

However, Based on what your saying it sounds like I'm in for a big let down when it comes time to get a new diesel.

Default gas vs diesel

I love my 08 power stroke. I up graded 2 years ago from a older Mopar v10. It was a good truck but sucked the fuel fast enough I thought there was a whole in the tank. I did buy the extended motor warranty for 2500.00 because of the fact they are more expensive to repair if something goes wrong under the hood. And I hope I will never have to use it. And so far it's the best truck I have owned.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

Default diesel vs gas

I will second you armor I have a 2009 350 with the 6.4 and its been the best truck Iv ever owned just changed the original front brake pads at 150 km and the motor has been great, biggest problem seems to be the egr and dpf like someone else had said, I did the egr delete and also dpf and will never look back better fuel economy tons of power which it had before but now I figure I have a more reliable truck by far

A new truck deleted will kill it. In that form they are highly reliable and great performers. I drive an 06 duramax for personal and get over 20 empty and 15 pulling. Also drive. 6.4 PS in stock form for work and I get 10-12 empty and 7-8 with an empty goose neck and 4-5 with a loaded goose neck. Good thing it has a 40 gallon tank.

Anyways... what was this thread about again?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default Excatly my point-

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    A new truck deleted will kill it. In that form they are highly reliable and great performers. I drive an 06 duramax for personal and get over 20 empty and 15 pulling. Also drive. 6.4 PS in stock form for work and I get 10-12 empty and 7-8 with an empty goose neck and 4-5 with a loaded goose neck. Good thing it has a 40 gallon tank.

Anyways... what was this thread about again?
    A diesel that gets 4-5 mpg with a gooseneck proves my point exactly. I can hook my semi up to an 60,000lb 53ft box and get close to 8. My 2008 f350 v10 gets 8hooked to an 20000lb tag trailer. As for tuning them, in large fleet situations that simply is not a choice, also mark my words, dpf deletes and egr deletes will become something which will be checked, espically if you live in a large city area, emissions don't go away, they get worse and worse. Also it is illegal to remove that stuff, not saying that many of my owner operators have not stopped in for some custom off road tuning! Finally removing the egr and dpf, does fix many of the issues, but voids the warranty.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Default Just a side note to something mention above...

Just filled up with #2 for the SAME PRICE as unleaded @ 3.89/gal
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.