Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diesel vs gas

Quote Originally Posted by G.Blackbeard View Post
    up here in canada, 14l of synthetic oil and filter is around $160. $180 at oil change pplace and i dont have to dispose old oil.
    Don,t use synthetic oil.Got 202k on my 7.3 with conventional oil.In mass where you buy your oil must take the old stuff back free of charge.Must b different up there.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Default gas vs. diesel

I suppose the issue here isn't necessarily gas vs. diesel but rather diesel vs. diesel if your in the line of work that travels considerably as I do. I've put every bit of the 215,00 on this 5.9 and besides the maintenance and proper care only had to put fuel and new tires roughly every 50k. 24 MPG ain't no joke when your running cross-country. Also love that cat purring on this pro300 when I'm behind my pancake. No doubt about it if your travel'n 15 minutes from the house that gas vs. diesel is a no brainer...go gas.

Default you need to read the post

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    200 dollar oil change???I have 2 diesels oil is 14bucks a gal. x4=56 bucks.And a filter for my 7.3 is 10 bucks.the 6.0 is$25 bucks.Your off buy a good 100 bucks do the MATH!
    First i said new diesel ie 6.7 ford, 6.7 cummins, or duramax. You can not compare the cost of a 7.3 or 6.0 to the new common rail engines. First the oil is 18 dollers a gallon, depend on the engine but they take 4 to 5 gallons, the filters are 25 to 60 again depending on the engine, also you are a fool if you dont change the fuel filter every oil change, also you should be oil sampling the oil. Also i was quoting what the dealer would charge, i work on these trucks for a living, i will not do any service work on the engine until the warranty expires. Simply put when warranty comes up my customers and i do not want a rejection based on maintance.
    As for people saying well when it breaks i can fix it...good luck. First the parts are beyond expensive, is someone going to replace 4 injectors at 450 a pop? Can you pull the cab off to do headgaskets? How many poeple have the scan tools to troubleshoot? Also for all the tuners out there pulling the emisssion crap of the diesels, how long before the diesels will be subject to the same emission tests that cars have to do.
    Im not knocking the diesel, i have 2 both 7.3's. I do beleive when all the costs are added up, intial cost, maintance cost, fuel economy it is very difficult to come ahead with diesel. In the past it was no comparison, until you been hit with the repair bill on a new diesel, or worse the downtime, its hard to beleive that gas might be a bettar choice. Also just to really annoy some out there, wait until the natural gas option really kicks in. Currently i have a customer who has converted 3 of his rigs to dual fuel, he is filling up at .90 cents a gallon, and getting within 90 percent of gasoline. Nice thing about his systems, isnhe filps a switch and he runs off gas.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

I hate the stench of diesel, one drop on you boots and you smell it for a week. Around here the diesel pumps have so much fuel on the ground it's hard to avoid getting it on your boots. Because of the stink I dread filling up my 5 gallon cans for my small 855 JD tractor. The fuel truck used to come by and fill my 55 gallon drum set up on a A-frame for me but now the driver says 55 gal isn't worth his trouble.

The starter went out in my buddies semi and it cost him over $2000 to get it rebuilt.

They both have there place, I just hope I'm one that never is put in a position where I have to buy a diesel.

Then you have welders that will work all day for a box of fishing worms and six pack and be happy and content as flies on a fresh cow pie.
    Last edited by tackit; 05-11-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Default t.b325

Back to the original question, I am seeing more and more of the new 325's and all the welders I've talked to are very happy with their performance not to mention the fuel savings with the injection. As best that I understand it they are not based on the traditional solid state phase control technology but rather the inverter like pipe pro(based soley on inductance control) . As far as any bugs with it only time will tell. Another welder in our group had a board go out in his sa200 and bought a t.b.325 last Thursday, I'll keep you posted.

Default diesel vs gas

Been there done that on all the above.
    But don't forget resale value or trade in value.
    U allways get ur money back from diesel when time to sell or trade in no matter how many miles u out on it ( I'm at 240,000) not planning to retire her till 400,000 or so.
    Nat. Gas is great now but wait till Gov. Is done taxing it and see how good a deal it becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    First i said new diesel ie 6.7 ford, 6.7 cummins, or duramax. You can not compare the cost of a 7.3 or 6.0 to the new common rail engines. First the oil is 18 dollers a gallon, depend on the engine but they take 4 to 5 gallons, the filters are 25 to 60 again depending on the engine, also you are a fool if you dont change the fuel filter every oil change, also you should be oil sampling the oil. Also i was quoting what the dealer would charge, i work on these trucks for a living, i will not do any service work on the engine until the warranty expires. Simply put when warranty comes up my customers and i do not want a rejection based on maintance.
    As for people saying well when it breaks i can fix it...good luck. First the parts are beyond expensive, is someone going to replace 4 injectors at 450 a pop? Can you pull the cab off to do headgaskets? How many poeple have the scan tools to troubleshoot? Also for all the tuners out there pulling the emisssion crap of the diesels, how long before the diesels will be subject to the same emission tests that cars have to do.
    Im not knocking the diesel, i have 2 both 7.3's. I do beleive when all the costs are added up, intial cost, maintance cost, fuel economy it is very difficult to come ahead with diesel. In the past it was no comparison, until you been hit with the repair bill on a new diesel, or worse the downtime, its hard to beleive that gas might be a bettar choice. Also just to really annoy some out there, wait until the natural gas option really kicks in. Currently i have a customer who has converted 3 of his rigs to dual fuel, he is filling up at .90 cents a gallon, and getting within 90 percent of gasoline. Nice thing about his systems, isnhe filps a switch and he runs off gas.
    Kevin
    Agree with you on this kevin.The new diesel are tuff to work on.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I've got over 200,000 miles on both of my 7.3 Ford Diesels and have never had any major work.

I did have to replace injectors due to a ton of water in the fuel about 10 years ago, The damaged happened within a couple hours from filling up so my insurance company went after the station and covered the repair.

All I can say is that I hope my new truck ( Whenever I get one ) Treats me as good as the 97 F-350 and my 99 F-550.

Tryagn5, I have never done a oil sample or used synthetic oil.
    I change my oil every 5,000 miles and use oil that meet all the SJ ratings.

The main reasons that engines fail are : That you didd'nt change your oil when your suppose to or you have a leak and you let the oil get to low.

I,ll second on never doing a oil sample.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Oil sampling is a topic that gets brought up from time to time on the various car forums I go on and the general census is why waste the money doing them. If you fine trace amounts of impurities from the sampling are you really going to rebuild the engine or what ever drastic measure needed to keep the oil impurity free? Most say no, they will run it till a real problem develops and address it then.