Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: diesel vs gas

Hybrid View

Default diesel vs gas

thinking about switching my rig over to gas,truck and welder. i currently own a pro 300 cat. I am interested about the trailblazer 325, does anyone know if the new ones coming off the production line have all the bugs worked out yet?

Default diesel over to gas

Hey G.blackbeard what is it exactly your wanting to achieve by switching over? That pro 300 really gets amazing fuel economy, and there really isn't a better machine in its class. Many of the old pipeliners have switched over to these out here in the patch.

i am tired of the maintenance costs associated with diesels. i want a new truck, but cant swallow the $10,000 more for the diesel motor/tranny, then spend up to 10 cents/litre more for diesel fuel. Does not seem to make much sense. I was thinking about the 325 simply so both units run the same type of fuel.

10c/gal more is cheaper than the gas mileage difference to an equivalent class gas rig. Even more so the larger truck, or toting around heavy loads.

Default not always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    10c/gal more is cheaper than the gas mileage difference to an equivalent class gas rig. Even more so the larger truck, or toting around heavy loads.
    The gas verse diesel debate will never end, but do the math and diesel is not cheaper. First take a f450 chassis, v10 vs diesel. V10 will get 10 to 12 on the highway, 8 to 9 in the city. Diesel will do 8 to 10 in the city and 12 to 14 on the highway. Now keep in mind if the truck idles at all regen will kill a diesel in fuel economy. Also the diesel maintance costs are much higher, ie 200 doller oil changes, 50 to 100 doller fuel filters, and if anything fails on the diesel expect to pay huge bills. In my mind a new diesel should be sold right before the 100k mark or when warranty ends. Fixing these new diesels is brutally expensive. Now take a v10 simple, only thing which fails on them are coils, exhaust manifold studs, and an oil change is $40.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

i just did injectors in my 6.0l and it was around $4,000. that is just shy of half the price of the diesel option on a new truck. What r 8 new sparkplugs worth?lots of guys i know buy new diesels then spend up to $2000 just so they run properly and get more than 10mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    The gas verse diesel debate will never end, but do the math and diesel is not cheaper. First take a f450 chassis, v10 vs diesel. V10 will get 10 to 12 on the highway, 8 to 9 in the city. Diesel will do 8 to 10 in the city and 12 to 14 on the highway. Now keep in mind if the truck idles at all regen will kill a diesel in fuel economy. Also the diesel maintance costs are much higher, ie 200 doller oil changes, 50 to 100 doller fuel filters, and if anything fails on the diesel expect to pay huge bills. In my mind a new diesel should be sold right before the 100k mark or when warranty ends. Fixing these new diesels is brutally expensive. Now take a v10 simple, only thing which fails on them are coils, exhaust manifold studs, and an oil change is $40.
    Kevin
    200 dollar oil change???I have 2 diesels oil is 14bucks a gal. x4=56 bucks.And a filter for my 7.3 is 10 bucks.the 6.0 is$25 bucks.Your off buy a good 100 bucks do the MATH!
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

If you can,t fix your own truck then yes,they are expensive.I can fix 99% of my own repairs myself but i was raised in a auto shop dad was a mechanic owned his own shop 35yrs.Was a tranny rebuilder,so i was born to turn wrenches.No dad can,t weld and i cant rebuild transmissions.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

up here in canada, 14l of synthetic oil and filter is around $160. $180 at oil change pplace and i dont have to dispose old oil.

Default you need to read the post

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    200 dollar oil change???I have 2 diesels oil is 14bucks a gal. x4=56 bucks.And a filter for my 7.3 is 10 bucks.the 6.0 is$25 bucks.Your off buy a good 100 bucks do the MATH!
    First i said new diesel ie 6.7 ford, 6.7 cummins, or duramax. You can not compare the cost of a 7.3 or 6.0 to the new common rail engines. First the oil is 18 dollers a gallon, depend on the engine but they take 4 to 5 gallons, the filters are 25 to 60 again depending on the engine, also you are a fool if you dont change the fuel filter every oil change, also you should be oil sampling the oil. Also i was quoting what the dealer would charge, i work on these trucks for a living, i will not do any service work on the engine until the warranty expires. Simply put when warranty comes up my customers and i do not want a rejection based on maintance.
    As for people saying well when it breaks i can fix it...good luck. First the parts are beyond expensive, is someone going to replace 4 injectors at 450 a pop? Can you pull the cab off to do headgaskets? How many poeple have the scan tools to troubleshoot? Also for all the tuners out there pulling the emisssion crap of the diesels, how long before the diesels will be subject to the same emission tests that cars have to do.
    Im not knocking the diesel, i have 2 both 7.3's. I do beleive when all the costs are added up, intial cost, maintance cost, fuel economy it is very difficult to come ahead with diesel. In the past it was no comparison, until you been hit with the repair bill on a new diesel, or worse the downtime, its hard to beleive that gas might be a bettar choice. Also just to really annoy some out there, wait until the natural gas option really kicks in. Currently i have a customer who has converted 3 of his rigs to dual fuel, he is filling up at .90 cents a gallon, and getting within 90 percent of gasoline. Nice thing about his systems, isnhe filps a switch and he runs off gas.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck