Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default I think it looks too Cool

photo.2.jpgphoto.3.jpg
    Racing Slicks. With 7” spun alloy wheels in the rear & 5” up front.
    This rig has come a long way from the mess I started with
    (see below)
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?30120-What-am-I-up-against-here&highlight=Gas+driven
    A little time, a small amount of cash.
    All Tig welded with my SD180. Tubing cut on my Cold saw. De-burredon a 22”disk sander.
    Painted with royal blue Rust-Oleum
    And I am now portable at the race track!
    Next Iwant to finish it with a cage & cable hangers. Along W/ a cabinet to holdthat will hold tools and equipment.

Nice job, it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2race View Post
    photo.2.jpgphoto.3.jpg
    Racing Slicks. With 7” spun alloy wheels in the rear & 5” up front.
    This rig has come a long way from the mess I started with
    (see below)
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?30120-What-am-I-up-against-here&highlight=Gas+driven
    A little time, a small amount of cash.
    All Tig welded with my SD180. Tubing cut on my Cold saw. De-burredon a 22”disk sander.
    Painted with royal blue Rust-Oleum
    And I am now portable at the race track!
    Next Iwant to finish it with a cage & cable hangers. Along W/ a cabinet to holdthat will hold tools and equipment.
    I would like to see more pictures of how you redid the welder. I remember seeing those rusty before pictures, but I never saw any after.

Looks great, always fun to do your own cart and add-ons

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    I would like to see more pictures of how you redid the welder. I remember seeing those rusty before pictures, but I never saw any after.
    Did not take photos of the repair.
    So I will attempt to describe the repair
    I cut the entire floor out of the welder. Using a Matabocutting grinder (a true favorite tool).

Checked the windings. And they were intact and not grounded.

So I made angle iron Frames. That used threaded rod. Andnuts to sandwich the laminated core of the windings.

Welded in a new floor. And welded the angle frames back inthe welder.

Also replaced a capacitor, a fuse. And cleaned most of theelectric connections.

Loads of work. But I now have a nice working unit. For afraction of used.

I enjoy repairing and restoring nice quality vintageequipment. But trust me this was a gamble most would no attempt.
    Youshould see my John Deere 318.
    That is repowered with a Kohler 25HP V-twin (without a kit).
    Custom:
    Drive shaft, Mufler, PTO clutch & adaptor, Runs and looks like new.