Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Please help!!!! Pictures

ok, here we go. both sides inside need to be covered in 3/16 aluminum. im not sure if i should try and fill the holes with material and try to blend it in, or put a whole piece in front of each side. also, the transom has been cut and needs to be hinged. i dont know what route to go. i need to know what kind of hinges i need if i cant use one in picture having the door swing out. i need to know whats the easiest way to tackle this job would be and still look nice. i need some advice on this here guys. thanks for any help in advance, Joe

boat.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    boat4.jpg

What is your process?

I do both mig and tig. But either way I would fit in and blend down the welds. I would bevel if using tig, and gap with a steel gas trap behind if done with mig.

If you think you are good enough to leave your welds show, covering from both sides would save you a lot of grinding a blending. But again that is not the way I would go.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    What is your process?

I do both mig and tig. But either way I would fit in and blend down the welds. I would bevel if using tig, and gap with a steel gas trap behind if done with mig.

If you think you are good enough to leave your welds show, covering from both sides would save you a lot of grinding a blending. But again that is not the way I would go.
    I only have a dynasty 200 so ill tig it. So you say just fill in holes don't run sheet across? And any advice on the door. 188 views 1 response?

Quote Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
    I only have a dynasty 200 so ill tig it. So you say just fill in holes don't run sheet across? And any advice on the door. 188 views 1 response?
    I viewed but I'm not understanding what you need to fill in? The triangle shaped holes on each side of the door? If so I would most likely overlap on the outside. Make the pc. nicely shaped with rounded corners & probably just stitch weld it unless there is some reason it needs to be full welded?
    Last edited by MMW; 05-09-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Going on my interpretation of your pictures and data, not familiar with this stern configuration but here goes:

1. Weld brackets to that plate on the seat riser shown in your "hand holding the hinge" picture. Looks like 3/16" Al, the upper end for a 200 amp Dynasty.

2. Bolt a hinge (sorry don't have specific) that allows a 180 degree swing outward, include a latch on the exterior transom to retain the door when it's open.

3. Rivet, not weld, a skin on the open seat bulkhead and seal it well from both sides.

4. Bevel the plated edges and max out your Dynasty to weld up a 1/4" 6061-T6 tread plate, removable box cover for the bottom hatch, marine-grade latch hardware to secure it. Test that hatch before putting it into service since it will bear the weight of humans and their cargo.

Just my hacker-grade .02.
    Last edited by Danarc; 05-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

Quote Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
    Perhaps if you were a little more clear of what you wish to have done, it might bring in more responses.
    I am unsure of what you are wanting to do so I cannot help.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES