Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Trouble with torch

Hello ladies and gentleman - I first need to get off my chest that I am not an experienced welder by any means. Welding classes are impossible to get around here for months, so I am trying to wing it until I get enrolled in some kind of school.

I am currently trying to weld 1/8 thick aluminum square tubing. My puddles are improving but the arc is randomly shutting off for about 1 - 2 seconds, then it will come back on for a few seconds and then shut off again. When it shuts off, the area around the puddle instantly turns black. I am using the pedal for control.

This is really frustrating to deal with and I don't have the experience to know if it is something that I am doing. I do know that I prep the aluminum well, use clean filler and am not touching the electrode to anything. (Although I do put a ball on the tip cause someone told me it would be a good idea.) I would forever appreciate any advice that someone could offer me.

Thanks, Paul

Need more info. Power unit, tungsten, gas flow rate, type of aluminum, type of joint, settings on machine, etc. more info the better.

Hi Paul,
    The black thing sounds like the surface is not clean or you don't have argon shielding.
    What series ali are you welding 6000?
    Is the ali anozised?

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Sounds to me you are dipping your tungsten in the puddle.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com